Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fan cooling the QX9650 the best

Josh's Avatar QX9650 @ 4.02Ghz
    Hello all,

well its time to buy a new cooler for my QX9650 i cant afford watercooling just yet as the bits i priced up coming in at the £250 to watercool just about everything on my system.

So might be able to get a new cooler for my QX9650 for a b'day present what paste and what cooler would you reccomend for this proccesor

Stock Clock and Stock Cooler =

CPU - 47'C at 100%
    Core 1 - 63'C at 100%
    Core 2 - 57'C at 100%
    Core 3 - 57'C at 100%
    Core 4 - 53'C at 100%

Bit high really i think since limit is 65'C according to Intel

Im UK so please dont link any US sites UK only please

Thanks alot

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    The top 2 rated out right now are

The OCZ Vendetta 2

and the
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283

Im sure you can find a UK vendor on your own

My personal fav is still the Enzotech Extreme X

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme

Ive heard good things about these but i do like the looks of the Enzotech do you think its best for my CPU

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Well, there is no single best cooler some are better than others sure but it's pretty much how much you want to spend on it. I am pretty sure the QX's are recommended to be water cooled but I may be wrong. As I said my personal favorite is the enzotech but at the time it was the highest rated cooler and as soon as you finish installing whatever one you pick there will be three better ones out there. Take the thremaltake you mentioned, when I got my enzotech it beat out the 120 by a few degrees. That plus the looks of it had me sold. Now the ones I mentioned above are seemingly the CPU coolers to beat. There are even a few not out yet like the Thermaltake V14 Pro that are supposed to beat up the other coolers up on the schoolyard. There is a newer Thermalright out that I believe is supposed to be better than the 120, It's the Thermalright IFX-14 (Inferno Fire eXtinguisher)

But I warn you this thing is just about the largest cooler on the market that Iv'e seen. Take a look at it mounted :0

I mean c'mon now that's obscene if you asked me. Check out the product page and the install directions. I really shouldn't talk though the Enzotech is damn huge as well. If you haven't seen mine here is that build I did a while back with good shots of it

In short let us know how much you want to spend on it and I will see what I can find( best bang for the buck).

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Bit high really i think since limit is 65'C according to Intel
    I don't think thermal throttling begins till 95°C, so even with the stock cooling you have quite a bit of headroom.

There are a couple of factors to consider...
    - Do you have space/size limitations
    - Would you prefer low noise or superior cooling capability
    - How much time does your chip normally spend at 100% load
    - Does your motherboard support automatic control of the CPU fan and if it does, do you want to use it

Although the stress test is good to evaluate stability, it is not an accurate reflection of how your PC operates normally- a two or three day log of temps (preferably with a calibrated RealTemp) will give you a much better idea of what you have to contend with.
    I've always been a big fan of extreme cooling but the simple fact is that the new 45nm Intel chips are efficient in a way that older designs could only dream of. Especially if you are enabling SpeedStep.

All of today's giant heatsink designs were born in the days of Athlons and P4's and as the size has increased, the need has actually lessened.

You may be better served by concentrating on your video card temps as they have continued to draw more power and produce more heat, thus displacing the CPU as the primary hot spot in the case.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Maybe i should just wait till i watercool my entire system and save my money up i will keep it down to 3.4Ghz for time being as temps are not too bad and its a good speed.

Thanks for the advice on the coolers that Thermalright IFX-14 is crazy LIKE MASSIVE lol i got the room tho

Coolermasters Cosmos S case its huge stacks of room

My GFX will be included in my watercooled setup as im planning to have a full integral watercooled setup trying to keep it stelath and quiet one day as at the moment its a bit loud with 4 x 120mm Fans and the big 230mm case fan on the side

Since ive flashed my Mobo Abit IP35 - PRO dont laugh at it please lol the speedstep seems to be much more stable and realiable as i type its only at x6.0 rather than x10.0

If you think stock cooler would be good for the moment until i watercool next year than i shall stick ot it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If you think stock cooler would be good for the moment until i watercool next year than i shall stick ot it.
    Your own provided figures show that the stock cooler is OK, so what we think is irrelevant.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I didnt realise they were ok figures Intel says 65's is the limits as i was above and in that area i didnt wanna fry it so wanted a temp cooler before i go watercooled.

But clocker you have said 95'C i didnt know this if i did i wouldnt of posted

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    While you're waiting around it might be interesting to see what your minimum stable voltage is.
    Every dual/quad that I've worked with will run at much lower voltage than the BIOS default and that alone can buy you some more headroom.

Something to do, anyway.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I was meant to ask about that at the moment its set to Automatic Voltage as it can be clocked using the abit software

Ive got it back to 3.74Ghz and running it on a stress test as i type so gonna leave it for 4 or 5 hours and see hows it goes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast