Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P2L = Good.

bblogs's Avatar Damn Straight. BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I know a lot of people here yell and scream about P2L and profiting from 'something that's meant to be free', and I used to agree...but then eventually I realised it's a good thing.

Money motivates staff to make their tracker better than everyone else's, or at least offer members something they want.
    P2L lets lazy/unpriveleged members keep leeching, and gives desperate members a chance at keeping their account.
    It makes it easier for others to seed, gives relief to an overseeded site.
    It lets a site run a better server, or dedicate a seedbox to the site, etc.
    If you don't want to pay, you don't have to...what's the big problem with an admin profiting...seriously??

Several of the notorious donation snatching sites, TL/SCT/Bitmetv etc, also happen to be at the top of their fields. Of course it will only work positively in a very good tracker, but if you're stupid enough to donate to a new site hoping to get reap mega dividends later, then that's your own problem.

I've never given a cent to a tracker before, but this is how it seems to me.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    My personal opinion.

1: Money does not do that, making the tracker as best as it can be (got nothing to do with making it better than other trackers) and pleasing the members, regardless if you get less donations for doing it. (our SP mod for example).

2: I would rather lazy/unpriviliged members, just kept seeding for awhile longer, so they can give a little of what they have, than hit and run then pay hmm ME for the privilage.

3: SP bonus is a great thing, members can seed till their hearts content, and those that do not have the BW or are just stuck with no leechers, still get a 1 ratio on every torrent.

4: If you need a better server, put the donation total price up for awhile to cover it.

5: I will let others answer that one. not because i profit, but im not going to sit here and call other tracker admins for the way they run their sites.

We are not that bad i hope, and we do not do it and manage OK, but again, its up to those trackers what they do, does not matter if i think its right or wrong, they wont take any notice of what i say anyway.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    MODERATION BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    My personal opinion.

1: Money does not do that, making the tracker as best as it can be (got nothing to do with making it better than other trackers) and pleasing the members, regardless if you get less donations for doing it. (our SP mod for example).

2: I would rather lazy/unpriviliged members, just kept seeding for awhile longer, so they can give a little of what they have, than hit and run then pay hmm ME for the privilage.

3: SP bonus is a great thing, members can seed till their hearts content, and those that do not have the BW or are just stuck with no leechers, still get a 1 ratio on every torrent.

4: If you need a better server, put the donation total price up for awhile to cover it.

5: I will let others answer that one. not because i profit, but im not going to sit here and call other tracker admins for the way they run their sites.

We are not that bad i hope, and we do not do it and manage OK, but again, its up to those trackers what they do, does not matter if i think its right or wrong, they wont take any notice of what i say anyway.

rofl, blackcats is also p2l...

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    explain, because your talking crap.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    MODERATION BT Rep: +2
    all I'm going to say is full sp bonus..

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    BlueLabel's Avatar everybody jump BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    Quote Originally Posted by ben99 View Post
    try to be smart??
    guess what... your hit and run didnt succeed
    if you want to say something you better put some explanations or you making fun of yourself.
    all I'm going to say is full sp bonus..
    thats far away from P2L
    you have SP without donation too
    whats the difference seed another couple hours??
    Last edited by BlueLabel; 10-27-2008 at 06:12 PM.
    thank you S', you're realy good friend and I will never forget it.
    Linux Box by naq , Tracker Rules by Grind$oFine

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    honestly, if i was going to donate to a site just for gigs, or SP bonus or any other thing they have on the site, I would just get usenet every month.

I would hope that most members that do donate, do it because they like the tracker and they do not want it to vanish.

But how you can say ours is P2L i have no idea, you have totally lost me on that one.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    As far as I know, the only true P2L site is TorrentLeech. If you pay for VIP at TL, you no longer have to follow ratio rules and are allowed to hit & run any torrent at will. Most other sites offer incentives for paying money to the tracker off GBs of uploads or invites, but it is not full leech as you do have to respect the ratio rules after that. Full SP Bonus at BCG is definitely not P2L, as you still have to maintain a 1:1 ratio on every torrent, even if paying makes it a little easier.

All that aside, my personal belief is that if a tracker uses money that its users give to benefit the tracker and its users, then it isn't really my concern what they do with the 'leftovers'. Let's take FTN for example. They're actively trying to benefit their userbase and upgrade their site with user donations, so I hope they exceed their donation amount by 300%. Now let's look at BitMeTV. The site lags out on popular TV days because the owner is too cheap to upgrade hardware and get better hosting. I wish that no one would give money to BMTV.

they didn't built Rome in one day

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    bblogs's Avatar Damn Straight. BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    I would rather lazy/unpriviliged members, just kept seeding for awhile longer, so they can give a little of what they have, than hit and run then pay hmm ME for the privilage.
    But you have to admit, exploiting lazy members is a good system I can't argue with your SP system, but your opinion is revolving around BCG alone.

/ignore

Quote Originally Posted by integral View Post
    As far as I know, the only true P2L site is TorrentLeech.
    ...and look where they are on the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by integral View Post
    Now let's look at BitMeTV. The site lags out on popular TV days because the owner is too cheap to upgrade hardware and get better hosting. I wish that no one would give money to BMTV.
    Why? If Bitmetv keeps offering something that people are willing to pay for, then it's the user's problem to decide whether or not they want to donate. It's not like it's ever stolen something from you.

...and let me make it clear that I'm not suggesting P2L = success, I'm saying it seems to do good things for a site.
    Last edited by bblogs; 10-27-2008 at 08:53 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Well i only know BCG but believe it or not when we started we were the same as TL if TL does what people suggest they do anyway.

But i just hated seeing members donating, and hit and running on a hell of a lot of torrents, then donating again, and just keep doing it over and over again, so we stopped it. It wasnt so much they were getting free ride, it was more there was no sense in uploading anything if most just hit and run on the things

as for BitmeTV, i cant reallyy speak for them, but i know that they are with the same hosts as us, and we are experiencing slowdowns, now we think that is because of the 5200rpm laptop hdds in the servers we have, in a couple of weeks we will know for sure, but if they are having problems as well as us, it may be the Pipe to our servers.

I know we have only got a 10MBs line, and im sure thats all these hosts do, but i am not sure if thats a problem or not, and im also not sure if they only have a 10MBs line as well, but if they have, that may be why it goes on a go slow when it gets really busy (but then it could be any number of things lol) but if it is that, its out of their control really, so you cant really blame the admin if it is that.
    Last edited by stoi; 10-27-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast