Thread: Chances that blown PSU didn't harm other components?

Poster
    So, after moving my around my PC and plugging everything in, I flipped the PSU on (without rebooting) forgetting to turn off the power at the mains. POP POP. Two fuses blown, I assume.

So the PSU is now toast, no start up at all. I'm getting a replacement tomorrow but I'm just wondering what the chances that the other components (Mobo, CPU, 3D Card etc) are still fine?

I never actually switched on the system, just the power supply, so no lights or fans were working when the actual blew happened. Is this a sign, that only the PSU was getting power, that perhaps the other components were spared? On inspecting the guts, the PSU looks quite self contained while all other components don't have any physical damage to them.

PSU: Aerocool Extreme 650W

Can anyone offer words that will ease me a bit?
    Last edited by Vamp; 10-29-2008 at 09:25 PM.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I've seen two psus go bad that didn't destroy any other part of the system.
    How's that for luck.
    Neither of them were as exciting as what you explained above though ^ they just simply stopped working in the middle of use and had to be replaced.

I don't understand what you said happened though. Explain again.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Moved my PC to a new location, started plugging in everything back in with the PSU kettle plug going in last. I never switched off power at the mains, though. :/

When I flipped the ON switch of the PSU I got two blown fuses (this was before trying to power on the system.)

After those pops, trying to power on had no effect at all.

I've had suspicions that this PSU was faulty, seeing as I've been getting hard random restarts for about the month I've had the system.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    The problem is that the PSU is only isolated from the system electronically, and 5V standby is always available even when switched off. Consequently, if the failure has been caused by a faulty internal component it could have jumped the electronic isolation, or could have sent a spike up the 5V standby line.

The only time you are going to find out if anything else has blown is when you replace the PSU.

BTW, just to put your mind at rest it is extremely unlikely that the PSU blew just because you forgot to turn of the power switch.
    Last edited by lynx; 10-30-2008 at 06:57 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    BTW, just to put your mind at rest it is extremely unlikely that the PSU blew just because you forgot to turn of the power switch.
    Right, the switch is just equal to unplugging the cord anyway... All it does it break the power to the electronic components.

I bet some wire inside the psu came loose, broke, whatever and ended up touching the casing meaning it was grounded and shorted when you plugged in the cord.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    PSU replaced. All components working!

Still suffering from these random restarts though! Check the "How to revert overclocked Q6600..." thread if you have any idea.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production