Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Connection Sharing

BANNED
    Well I ain't sure if these is the right place to post it....but i guess if not it would be placed in the limbo

K im gonna get cable in a week so i want to share the conn with another computer.

I already bought enough cable and have a good ole switch to back me up on this. I got the extra lan card for my computer and im ready to own
    However, the other computer is a little far from mine, so I was wondering how much would it slow down (for the 1st AND 2nd computer) the internet...

the cable i would use be at top 50 meters in length...

any ideas, literate friends?

DWk

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    i don't think there should be any real slowdown, unless the other computer is using the internet at exactly the same time as yours. then you'r connection will slow down by the same amout as the other computer is using. i think atleast, still waiting to share my connection with the machine upstairs

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    My parents have two computers sharing a connection through Ethernet>router>modem and there doesn't seem to be any problem at all even when both comps are on the internet.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    You won't notice much difference even if they are using the other connection. Maybe some if they have mulitple downloads going. I share a 1.2 mbps connection with 3 computers via a router here without a problem.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    It depends what you're doing on the other computer, If you're doing something that requires a lot of bandwith then there will definitely a slowdown. I've seen it happen a few times.

Edit: multiple downloads will do that, yeah or really heavy surfing on two or three flashsites at the same time to name anther example.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    what if the computer that has the actual access is the one downloading stuff....while the other one is just surfing....?

DWk

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Are you going to use a router?

If so there is no main or secondary computer. They all have the same priority.

The router is the device connected to the modem and then each computer is connected to the router. You get the added benefit of higher security too as the internal network is firewalled from to internet.

Click here for info about routers.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BANNED
    no a switch....just use 2 lan cards on my computer and just one lan card on the 2nd one (this one would connect to my switch)

DWk

ps: i just finished making all the cabling.....couple of hours hehe

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    I had done it your way when i set it up the first time.

You will be much happier if you get a router. It's much easier to configure.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    BANNED
    well it dont matter...the swtich cost me 100 dollas and i wont just use it for this.... (its a 16port switch) but for lan parties 2

DWk

ps: if u want, i can give u a link of a great tutorial to share the conn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast