Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My warning: being ignorant of BitTorrent stats "cheating" can still get you banned

Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disme View Post

I don't think it can happen even when you put DHT on ... the tracker-side won't allow it
    Well I dont agree with that one bit.
    Not sure how things work now, or exactly what happened to be before, but:
    Back when i first started working with torrents, I stumbled apon an unusual thing. There were torrents on TL I could not download due to wait times. I found a way around this using DHT. I would dl the torrent, set DHT to on, and wait. With some luck (didn't work all the time) eventually I would start getting peers and data, even though the tracker status was red saying wait time blah blah.

Now this doesn't work, but it did at one point, leeding me to the conclusion that DHT is not controlled by the tracker, in fact, its on the client and client only. Once my client found a peer that was using TL and on the same torrent as me, it would update my peers list and off I went.

Note: I dont condone this, I was new to torrents at the time, and this was years ago. Doubt it would work anyway, but this is my disclaimer for safety, lol.
    Trackers have the option of ensuring that their downloads are marked with a "private" flag in the .torrent file. uTorrent respects that flag and will not register or search for anything related to a download that is marked Private.

With DHT running, double-click one of your downloads from that tracker. You should notice that the DHT and Peer Exchange boxes at the bottom are greyed out. This is because the .torrent was marked "private." If they are not greyed out, then you have the option of enabling or disabling DHT and Peer Exchange for that download by using those checkboxes.

What some people do is create "hacks" or use old buggy software that ignore that private flag. Getting caught DOING THAT will get you banned from private trackers.

But trackers have no reason to tell you not to use DHT at all, so I'm sure that they mean not to use DHT on their swarms. If they are marking their .torrents properly, then uTorrent will keep you out of trouble, even with DHT running on your non-private downloads.

If you always use private trackers, then DHT is of no use to you.
    Can you feel the LOVE

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by rulereric View Post
    Can someone explain how WM Recorder affects stats a torrent client tells a tracker?
    I'd like to know this too. As I read the rules and faqs of every tracker I use, and none of them mention this recorder(unless I'm being blind). Is this only a thebox.bz thing?

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    So trackers now are dictating which programs we have installed on our computer? Will there be a "automatic ban if using Win2k SP1" next? And how is the site detecting what software you have on your PC?

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    AMnesko's Avatar The Comedian BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilly View Post
    So trackers now are dictating which programs we have installed on our computer? Will there be a "automatic ban if using Win2k SP1" next? And how is the site detecting what software you have on your PC?
    Uhh dude, if you don`t like it just don`t use the tracker! You download stuff from them free of charge, so obey their rules.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AMnesko View Post
    Uhh dude, if you don`t like it just don`t use the tracker! You download stuff from them free of charge, so obey their rules.
    Yes. i don't use thebox.. as usually someone jumps in with "its free, don't use it then.. " which, i agree as well.. so I don't use it.., but doesn't mean I can't make statements about them

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    And how is the site detecting what software you have on your PC?
    It doesn't seem probable that the site can directly detect what software you've installed . It's more likely that anomalies were detected in the tracker stats, discrepancies which pointed towards the use of WM Recorder (or something similar) .
    Last edited by Spillage; 11-05-2008 at 03:30 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Long John Silver
    lmao that was very funny! Srsly I too am curious about the WM recorder/cheat thing - i used to use WM recorder about 2-3 yrs back to tape commercials off ad sites that wouldn't allow downloads from the embedded stream player, and never noticed that post on thebox FAQ or forum! Glad I had stopped using it at least before i joined there!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123