Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Astraweb & Pan

Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I've just switched to Linux again(Ubuntu specifically). And just subscribed to the unlimited $11 Astraweb service, and I'm using Pan.

Usually I used Alt.Binz on Windows, and that's the reader I'm most used to. But since I'm on Linux I thought I would try a client native to Linux. So, when I started Pan it asks me for my server address, port, and connections. So I added all that. But...Pan will only accept 4 connections.

I'm using Astraweb's General server(news.astraweb.com), and I'm suppose to get up to 20 connections. But when I input 10 connections into Pan, it automatically goes back to 4. So for the ones that are familiar with Pan, how can I get it to use over 4 connections?

I think I'm going to just install Wine and go back to Alt.Binz. It's the one I'm the used to. But I thought I would give Pan a try for a couple days. What are some other good Linux clients? I can't even get HellaNZB to install since it's not in the Synaptic Package Manager. So are there any other good ones besides Pan and HellaNZB?

Thanks for any info.

EDIT: Yeah, so I just installed Wine and alt.binz, and set alt.binz to 10 connections. And all 10 work. So I wonder why 10 won't work in Pan. I guess it really doesn't matter since I still get my full speed with 4 connections in Pan.
    Last edited by Funkin'; 11-06-2008 at 01:58 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Bunny Hopper BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    I use sabnzbd, it works well. Quick search found this instruction for ubuntu: http://sabnzbd.wikidot.com/quick-setup#toc1

Edit: the instruction doesn't grab the latest version, make sure you do that with the wget command.
    Last edited by naq; 11-06-2008 at 12:22 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    You can also try Lottanzb, it is a GUI frontend to Hellanzb. Very easy to set up and use. It has all the basic features such as par check/repair and unrar. I am not 100% but you may have to install hellanzb from the repos before you install lottanzb but it has been awhile so I am not sure. If you get a dependency error then you know

You can grab the deb file at:
    http://www.lottanzb.org/downloads

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Thank you very much for the recommendations guys. I appreciate that.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    You want to use the minimum number of connections that gives you full speed anyway. So if you get it with 4 then don't use 10.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Forgot to mention. If you want to stay with pan all you have to do to get it to use all 20 connections is add your server info 5 times. It will set it up as 5 separate servers but use all 20 connections at once.

Pan is a very good client as it uses so very little CPU and Memory. But if you like the features of Alt.Binz then HellaNzb is the way to go used with LottaNzb GUI. Plus the hellafox firefox extension works a treat with it.
    Last edited by rippinitup4fun; 11-08-2008 at 12:48 AM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Ah, didn't know there was a hellafox extension. And yeah I've got to go with the Lottanzb gui. I just can not get the hellanzb config right. I have followed numerous tutorials, and I just can't get it to work. I would rather use hellanzb all through terminal like it's suppose to be used, but I just am not good with terminal yet.

And by the way, I couldn't get sabnzbd to run either. What is up with these readers having to run or be installed through terminal? Why can't they just be installed through a .deb, and then be started just by clicking a button. Lottanzb doesn't tell me when a download is finished, or any of the stuff that I'm used to. So I guess I'll just be sticking with alt.binz or pan.
    Last edited by Funkin'; 11-08-2008 at 02:18 AM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    There is no need to configure the 'hellanzb.conf' file if you are using the LottaNzb GUI.

First grab lottanzb deb file from:
    http://www.lottanzb.org/releases/dis..._0.3.1_all.deb

Once you have that file and it is saved to a location of your choice like 'Desktop' or whatever

Then open the terminal VIA: Applications> Accessories>Terminal

From there copy and paste command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install hellanzb
    *Enter your password when prompted*

NOTE:
    Your password will not show up, it will be Blank.

Once Hellanzb is installed then double click the 'lottanzb_0.3.1_all.deb' file and follow the prompts to install the GUI

From there it is only a matter of setting up your addy, username, and amount of connections.

Select 'Standalone Usage mode' and enter your server info and passes.

After all of that you can start the program from 'Applications>Internet>Lottanzb'

To change the amount of connections or if you want it to unrar and par check automatically all you have to do is go to 'Edit>preferences'

The 'Servers tab' will allow you to change the amount of connections up to 25 per server , with or without SSL.

The 'general Tab' allows you to change download folders and set it to "download par files only when necessary to repair" , limit speed (useful if you share a connection and do not want to bog down the whole network.), minimize to system tray, and a few other things. But all in all if you want a nice, easy to use client this is it. But I have had a bit to much of the sauce and a few to many VK ES, so either way enjoy

Last edited by rippinitup4fun; 11-08-2008 at 06:27 AM.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Lol, thank you rippinitup. You're always very helpful.

Actually, I got hellanzb and lottanzb working with no problem. All that is easy because I don't have to configure hellanzb at all, and lottanzb comes in a .deb.

It's hellanzb alone is what I'm trying to get working, but I just can't seem to do it. It's a pain in the ass. Tomorrow when I get back to my computer I'll pm you(if you don't mind) the link to the tutorial that I'm using, and also show you the specific spots in the tutorial where I'm having problems. I'm sure you'll be able to see what I'm doing wrong.

So until I can get hellanzb going, I think I'm going to stick with Pan. I was doing some comparisons, and Pan is using less CPU on my computer than hellanzb+lottanzb, or alt.binz. So I really like that. But I'm sure hellanzb alone(without lottanzb) uses even less than Pan since it's running from Terminal.

Enjoy your nite.

EDIT: I have FINALLY found a tutorial that worked for me. And I now have HellaNZB working through Terminal. This tutorial here is what I used to get it running. It seems like a very basic tutorial compared to this one. This second tutorial I was getting hung up with the script install, and the cd command. Which the first tutorial didn't have any of that. So am I missing out on some hellanzb features by not follwing the second tutorial?
    Last edited by Funkin'; 11-08-2008 at 07:14 AM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Ya that first tut. Is overly complicated. Glad to hear you got it set up and working. Little tip for you. If you want an easy way to start hellanzb then make a Launcher on your desktop or top panel. Just right click anywhere on desktop and 'create launcher' then under 'type' change it to 'application in terminal' under command enter 'hellanzb' and give it a name. Viola you got a desktop icon of sorts for quick launch. For the panel just right click anywhere on panel and 'add to panel' then 'custom app launcher'. If you need any linux help at all feel free to PM me any time. Oh before I forget, sometimes when you close the hellanzb terminal it does not kill the hellanzb process, easy way to make sure it does is just 'Ctrl+C' and it will kill it. then close terminal window.

Hella even being ran in terminal can be a CPU hog so if you find that it is an issue there is always NNTPGrab. It is a bit like grabit and has all the main features like par check, etc... and it uses about the same amount of system resources as pan.

http://nntpgrab.nl/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu

Screens:
    http://nntpgrab.nl/screenshots/nntpg...osx_slazh1.png
    http://nntpgrab.nl/screenshots/nntpgrab_nzb_import.png
    http://nntpgrab.nl/screenshots/nntpg...er_columns.png

You can change language to english during setup.
    Last edited by rippinitup4fun; 11-08-2008 at 07:24 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast