Thread: New GFX card for crimbo ?

Josh's Avatar QX9650 @ 4.02Ghz
    Right christmas is coming up yeh i will be 21 so what i ma big kid lol last expensive present im gonna see for a long time lol

SOOOOOOOOOOO

Graphic Cards

What are the market leaders at the moment

I only have PCI Express 1.0 but saving up for a mobo that supports 2.0 im not after SLI or Crossfire anything like that im a 1 card man.

Ive heard good things about the

Asus ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2048MB GDDR5

but i like nVidia never been a ATI man like ive never been a AMD man so its a big step for me to look at those cards

BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX

So basic is BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX vs Asus ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

Im after something that will work well with my QX9650 which is running at 3.40Ghz at the moment.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Most people will tell you to go with the ATI card, because well, it's better.

Check out these benchmarks for 280 vs 4870:

http://www.tomshardware.com/gallery/...2----jpg-.html

It also depends on the chipset of your mobo. I personally would go for the 280 mainly because I have a nVidia chipset and want to keep the option open of SLI. But as you're a single card man, i'd go for the ATI.

Edit: Don't forget the 280 x2 is coming out soon, you may want to wait for that.
    Last edited by Bobbius5000; 11-07-2008 at 03:23 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    hhhhmmmmmmm i dont know much about the 280 x2 might be something to wait for then thanks for the advice bobbius

any info on the 280 x2

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    The most obv reason people go for the ATI gfx is cos of the price really they have Nvidia beat. But to be fair josh, what i would do is trade in your mobo and get one with a better chipset and also SLI capabilities. that way when the 280s become cheaper you can get two of them or another one if you choose to get one now and they'll still be a respectable card.

My name is Dan for the people who care!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I dont want SLI tho doesnt intrest me im a 1 card guy you know that dan lol

The ATI X2 does look alot better than the 280 on everything ive read so far but if a 280 X2 is coming maybe its worth the wait

As for the mobo my abit 1p35 pro aint too bad as it supports my QX9650 really well and its good for my overclocking but as ive said i will be upgrading that soon anyway for full PCI-E 2.0 support