Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: This Board And Sygate Pro

Poster
    Are you saying you have netbios enabled? why? It's the first thing I disable during the installation of any operating system.

I believe I have 11 ports open at the most and none of them will communicate without my permission.
    I see all sorts of incoming shit but it's all speculative random probes. If you don't answer, they don't know you exist.
    Even with IIS running, No-one has ever gotten past my security. I've never had a trojan and the only virus I ever had to deal with was one that I was stupid or curious enough to play with.
    I used to see attempts in the thousands in my W3SVC1 logs. Now I rarely pay attention because they mean nothing. My patches, firewall, and AV are that good.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    ***UPDATE****
    After almost a month of this issue, i'm still at ground zero this is what i've done so far (not in order):
    • tried the tips posted here
    • tried sygate's forum
    • contacted sygate, they blame isp or router
    • search my isp's forum
    • contacted my isp, they blame fw software or router
    • searched linksys forum
    • contacted linksys, they came up w/no solution. at least they didn't blame anyone and they really tried to help me (eventhough i know it's the router causing this)
    • tested sygate by itself on my test pc (which has the minimal required files to run win 2k
    • searched google and related links
    • setup my test pc, w/a fresh install, on dial-up, different isp
    • tested many other boards/newsgroups (no problems found)
    I hope this post is not misunderstood, yet the only logical option i'm constantly approaching is this board. I'm at the point where I have to "ALLOW ALL" on sygate's whenever I visit this board (please note this issue occurs MOST of the times while dl/ul on this board). yet, when I want to browse others, I put it back to "NORMAL". I am truley at a loss and hope someone, anyone can show me the light that I know exists at the end of that tunnel.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I just skimmed the thread, so sorry if this has been discussed. I think it's an IE issue think balamm mentioned. What browser are you using? I'm using Opera 7.20 & Sygate Pro 5.1. I have it set to normal & no problems. Hope this helps.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    I've tried 4 browsers. currently running opera 7.21. i doubt it's the browser tho.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Dodgy knees
    Originally posted by balamm@8 September 2003 - 15:55
    Are you saying you have netbios enabled? why? It's the first thing I disable during the installation of any operating system.

I believe I have 11 ports open at the most and none of them will communicate without my permission.
    I see all sorts of incoming shit but it's all speculative random probes. If you don't answer, they don't know you exist.
    Even with IIS running, No-one has ever gotten past my security. I've never had a trojan and the only virus I ever had to deal with was one that I was stupid or curious enough to play with.
    I used to see attempts in the thousands in my W3SVC1 logs. Now I rarely pay attention because they mean nothing. My patches, firewall, and AV are that good.
    How do I disable netbios?

I have xp pro by the way.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Forum Star
    I have Sygate Pro 5.1.1615s (latest version) and it works fine. No problems at all. It's only a bit slow while booting.

Perhaps stealth mode browsing is the problem? (I have it disabled)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster

How do I disable netbios?

I have xp pro by the way.
    XP, right click on the connection icon either in the tray or in network connections. Go to properties/... tcp/ip......... advanced
    Click on the WINS tab and look for "disable netbios...". Check the box. It should be fully disabled.

You might also have to disable netbios helper in services.msc

Some systems enable the helper and some don't. Just another MS quirk.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Originally posted by nikita69@1 October 2003 - 06:13
    ***UPDATE****
    After almost a month of this issue, i'm still at ground zero this is what i've done so far (not in order):
    • tried the tips posted here
    • tried sygate's forum
    • contacted sygate, they blame isp or router
    • search my isp's forum
    • contacted my isp, they blame fw software or router
    • searched linksys forum
    • contacted linksys, they came up w/no solution. at least they didn't blame anyone and they really tried to help me (eventhough i know it's the router causing this)
    • tested sygate by itself on my test pc (which has the minimal required files to run win 2k
    • searched google and related links
    • setup my test pc, w/a fresh install, on dial-up, different isp
    • tested many other boards/newsgroups (no problems found)
    I hope this post is not misunderstood, yet the only logical option i'm constantly approaching is this board. I'm at the point where I have to "ALLOW ALL" on sygate's whenever I visit this board (please note this issue occurs MOST of the times while dl/ul on this board). yet, when I want to browse others, I put it back to "NORMAL". I am truley at a loss and hope someone, anyone can show me the light that I know exists at the end of that tunnel.
    so you tried 5.0probuild1150 and it's still giving you the problem?

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    @Paul - i've tested in the past and didn't resolve the issue, i'm currently testing it on my TEST PC (i'll try it for the next several hours to see if it works on a minimal installed OS)
    @MediaSlayer - yes i've tried ur tip and was the same case on this on the TEST PC, didn't resolve the issue.

EDIT: I had to ALLOW ALL and with STEALTH MODE OFF to post this from my TEST PC, yet i'll continue testing. thx to all and i'll post an update later.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    ****UPDATE*****
    have been using my TEST PC for several hours now and have turned off STEALTH MODE, yet it didn't resolve the issue. Also, I confirmed that even with that feature on, the board was able to capture my OS and Browser version.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast