Thread: can i seed from external HD on a Mac?

I use Transmission, which I know is not the best. I was wondering if there is any way to seed from my external hd from my mac because I don't see anything in preferences etc.

Or will I have to try out Vuze? Any other clients I don't know about that can do this (rTorrent)?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster
    id imagine so mate , just point your client in the direction of your new directory e.g your external HD and seed and id recomend vuze tbh

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    RedRansom's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by 105802 View Post
    id imagine so mate , just point your client in the direction of your new directory e.g your external HD and seed and id recomend vuze tbh
    yes this is right,if you have all files on F drive and wanna seed from G same files you can do it with a few click at utorrent.(witout manual "set download location" )
    about mac and Transmission i dont have any idea
    Last edited by RedRansom; 11-11-2008 at 07:21 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I don't see why not. I'm getting an external so I surely hope so since I too use Transmission.

When you click on a torrent link a window opens for Transmission(as I'm sure you know. Before you click Add to actually start the torrent in Transmission, just click and set the download location to whatever file on your external you want to seed.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Yes u can, although in my experience externals don't hold up to the constant spinning that torrenting puts on them. I killed one in about 6 months. I personally will stick to internal HDD's in the future.

edit: when I did it I was using utorrent. I dont know about other clients.
    Last edited by That1Guy; 11-11-2008 at 07:41 PM.
    DO NOT PM me 4 invites thanks

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Hmmm...thank you for that info That1Guy. I'm going to be getting either a 1TB or two 500GB externals soon(whichever way is cheaper). So I guess I won't download torrents to my external and seed them from it. I'll just keep downing them to my internal, seed it until I get my upload off of it, then remove it from my torrent client and it onto my external for collection.

I would be pissed if I killed that external in just a few months from constant 24/7 downloading and seeding.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Wow I had set it automatically so long ago that I forgot all about that popup screen! I was able to figure it out. In order to avoid it crashing while trying to move a big torrent over to my external, this is what I do.

I have a directory Torrents where everything is kept while seeding, but sometimes I like to move some big files to my external.

SO to seed from both Torrents and External at once, under Transfers set default download location to "same as torrent". Then, for things already on the external, I just move the torrent to that directory before starting it up so it rehashes the data automatically. It works great. Thanks!

I won't be leeching fresh torrents to the external, but I'll keep some torrents seeded that probably won't get much action anyway.

EDIT: FAIL! It crashed! :?
    Last edited by bt234; 11-11-2008 at 08:37 PM.