Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why has HDBits banned Eureka?

Quote Originally Posted by Unstable1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by piratebot View Post
    screens comparison?
    Don't you understand that a higher bitrate encode will improve picture quality!!

I can't be arsed going through the effort of posting up screenies, you can do the work yourself, I'm not here to preach the superiority of Eureka, it's a conclusion I've come to myself and I don't particularly care if you believe me nor do I feel the need to prove it to you or anyone else.

Perhaps someone else more motivated than me will post up screen comparisons.
    from what I've read thus far, bitrate is not the all-and-all deciding factor of video quality.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by athenaesword View Post

from what I've read thus far, bitrate is not the all-and-all deciding factor of video quality.
    While bitrate is not the all and all deciding factor, it helps quite a bit. Encoding profile also has a bit to do with it. Color saturation or lack thereof also does have an effect. Some of us also care about audio bitrate and format as well.

While ESIR and CtrlHD are great, Eureka is just as good if not better (for 1080p encodes). What it all comes down to is your eye and your preference. I watched the Eureka encode of JFK last night and thought it was one of the best encodes I have seen in a while (as I usually watch BD Rips), even though it was only 7.5MBit, PQ was great as were the colors. But at 13.5GB Im sure its not for everyone.

Also keep in mind bitrate is an average. For movies like JFK, there is a lot of archival footage that is not true HD thus encoded at a lower bitrate.. this is something you also have to keep in mind. Also, movies that have less detail or a lot of dark scenes will encode at lower bitrates as well.
    Last edited by puckface; 11-15-2008 at 06:16 PM.
    Go Leafs Go.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    lukee's Avatar Suit up!
    Quote Originally Posted by kelfa View Post
    I will put a few side by side and take a look at which is better quality. I know those Eureka rips are large tho, usually 11-14gb for a 1080p with a very high bitrate. Good thing they are all dxva compatible. Only thing that sucks is you cant back them up to dvdr-dl.

Newegg.ca - Western Digital Elements WDE1U10000N 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - External Hard Drives

HARDDRIVES FFS

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by lukee View Post
    I will put a few side by side and take a look at which is better quality. I know those Eureka rips are large tho, usually 11-14gb for a 1080p with a very high bitrate. Good thing they are all dxva compatible. Only thing that sucks is you cant back them up to dvdr-dl.

Newegg.ca - Western Digital Elements WDE1U10000N 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - External Hard Drives

HARDDRIVES FFS
    And "Free Shipping" !!!!

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    So what if I want to upload my own full quality encode to hdbits, are they just going to say its eureka...its sad how every single upload has to be ultra-compressed.
    Last edited by phosphors; 11-15-2008 at 10:54 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by lukee View Post

HARDDRIVES FFS
    usb 2.0 is too slow for me imo.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by piratebot View Post
    usb 2.0 is too slow for me imo.

haha. THAT's why he prefers dvdr!?

for the record, my computer plays 1080p fine via usb2.0

Quote Originally Posted by puckface View Post

While bitrate is not the all and all deciding factor, it helps quite a bit. Encoding profile also has a bit to do with it. Color saturation or lack thereof also does have an effect. Some of us also care about audio bitrate and format as well.

While ESIR and CtrlHD are great, Eureka is just as good if not better (for 1080p encodes). What it all comes down to is your eye and your preference. I watched the Eureka encode of JFK last night and thought it was one of the best encodes I have seen in a while (as I usually watch BD Rips), even though it was only 7.5MBit, PQ was great as were the colors. But at 13.5GB Im sure its not for everyone.

Also keep in mind bitrate is an average. For movies like JFK, there is a lot of archival footage that is not true HD thus encoded at a lower bitrate.. this is something you also have to keep in mind. Also, movies that have less detail or a lot of dark scenes will encode at lower bitrates as well.
    right so you're saying, Eureka releases > Esir/CtrlHD in terms of absolute picture quality? I'm on both BHD and HDB so I'm flexible. just need a few more opinions on this and i'll transfer some of my bookmarks on HDB to BHD for when I get my new HDD at the end of the month.
    Last edited by athenaesword; 11-16-2008 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70

right so you're saying, Eureka releases > Esir/CtrlHD in terms of absolute picture quality? I'm on both BHD and HDB so I'm flexible. just need a few more opinions on this and i'll transfer some of my bookmarks on HDB to BHD for when I get my new HDD at the end of the month.
    No, what I'm saying is that they are all very good and you cant go wring with any of them, and that you have to make your own judgement. Eureka stuff is always free leech on Bit-HDTV so why not try one out, no reason not to, I say you can go wrong with a 1080p Eureka encode, the d/l an ESIR or CtrlHD 1080p and see what you like better, everyones preference is different. Try for yourself.

EDIT: not in response to the poster I quoted, but why would anyone want HD rips that fit on DVD or DL DVD? If you want a DVD download a DVD... makes absolutely no sense.
    Last edited by puckface; 11-16-2008 at 08:01 AM.
    Go Leafs Go.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39

EDIT: not in response to the poster I quoted, but why would anyone want HD rips that fit on DVD or DL DVD? If you want a DVD download a DVD... makes absolutely no sense.
    And what size do you download SD movie?, isn't it 1cd (700mb) or 2cd (1400mb) size?.So then if you want a cd, buy a cd, makes no sense either...
    Last edited by phosphors; 11-16-2008 at 08:43 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by phosphors View Post

And what size do you download SD movie?, isn't it 1cd (700mb) or 2cd (1400mb) size?.So then if you want a cd, buy a cd, makes no sense either...
    well dvdrs are 4gb+ so you can download those to fit exactly on the dvd. don't get your point. in any case. dvd backups are obsolete. hdd ftw.

No, what I'm saying is that they are all very good and you cant go wring with any of them, and that you have to make your own judgement. Eureka stuff is always free leech on Bit-HDTV so why not try one out, no reason not to, I say you can go wrong with a 1080p Eureka encode, the d/l an ESIR or CtrlHD 1080p and see what you like better, everyones preference is different. Try for yourself.

reason why i ask is cus i don't have a screen large enough to test out yet, so i'm willing to rely on the opinions of those who do. i'm planning to buy one, but wouldn't wish to have to redownload everything.

if you're talking about audio hardware then yes maybe it's more up to preference, but with videos, it's usually fairly obvious which is better, if there's any visual difference to be discerned in the first place of course. unless you're talking about preference for grain/specific AR, which I'm assuming we aren't.

yeah i might d/l some when i get my new hdd and compare screens on my computer, but currently 99% of my 2.5TB is filled :s can only get a new TB end of this month.
    Last edited by athenaesword; 11-16-2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast