Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question on PC temperatures!

first things first ... this is what i will do in XP , i hope its not much different in vista

go to , my computer - properties - advanced -startup and recovery settings - uncheck automatically restart ..

then go to start - run - Eventvwr.msc .. check your system and application event log

then google the event id's with red triangle ..

(someone translate those into vista)
    Last edited by anoneemuse; 11-14-2008 at 03:02 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbius5000 View Post
    The GPU temp is fine, it's the CPU temp you should be concerned about, that's pretty damn high.
    I would disagree- about the GPU.

I recently converted back to aircooling from water and the CPU idles in the mid-twenty degree range and the GPU in the mid thirties (8800GT, overclocked).
    Admittedly, I'm using an aftermarket Zalman cooler on the card but even so, I don't think the stock coolers are that bad, are they?

GPU's can handle much higher temps than CPU's, I seem to recall that certain graphics chips could go over 90 degrees centigrade before they died, but I know that the limit for my AM2 6000+ the "die" temp is in the the mid 60's. Although with my watercooling system i've never seen my CPU go over 40 degrees centigrade at max load, overclocked, in a warm room

Stock cooling depends what brand of card you get, how big your case is, how well ventilated said case is, and what other components are close. I know one of my old air CPU coolers dissipated the warm air all around it (Good idea in theory - but it always ran hot), with my GPU right next to it. as a result, my old 6600GT used to run pretty hot as it was having warm air blown onto it all the time. (Ahhh, back in the day...) I always got BSODded and never understood why (Until I researched it... much like you're doing now stoi) I re-arranged all my wires in the case so air could flow better, changed my CPU cooler and added some extra fans on the front and back. Then it worked fine.

Edit: In regards to thermal paste, you have to be very careful when you're doing this stuff. Make sure no contaminents get in, like dust.
    One of the main things peple do wrong is put TOO MUCH thermal paste on - this ends up doing more bad then good. You only need a very small amount; the heatsink should be pressed very firmly up against the CPU and the paste will dissipate out to fill in all the cracks.
    If you've messed this up, you can clear it off with a special solvent or alcohol (dont start pouring vodka on it - not that kind of alcohol ) to gently clean it, then put a fresh coat on.
    Last edited by Bobbius5000; 11-14-2008 at 04:01 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbius5000 View Post
    GPU's can handle much higher temps than CPU's, I seem to recall that certain graphics chips could go over 90 degrees centigrade before they died...
    I am aware of that but his GPU is apparently idling at 72° (or 67°, depending on which post you go by), which leaves very little headroom when the card is actually working.

His CPU idle temps also strike me as excessive- especially if the chip is running stock speed (which he hasn't mentioned), the combination would lead me to suspect something is horribly wrong with the case airflow.

Stoi...what happens if you remove the sidepanels and run the case open?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    OK everything is at stock lvls, i even had to remove the Battery from the Mobo last night as my PC just kept turning itself off before it even got to windows.

my CPU is running at 2.66mhz which is stock.

According to PC Probe 2 my temps are

CPU 47
    Mobo 43

According to realtemp it is

55 52 50 51

Distance to TJ max is (whatever that is)

31 32 35 34

and according to EXPERtool my GPU is

65 with fixed 100% fan speed.

as for doing anything intricate with this, like check the cooling and thermal paste, I have never done anything like that in my life lol.

and again i am not really doing anything, a few windows explorer windows open and my browser to type this.

but i have read that the GPU is Normal.

I may try the open case next, but i have read that can cause more harm than good if you have a front fan, which i do. but i have got the front door open (not the inside front door though) so all the air it can get it is getting.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Pull the sidepanels.

Chance are your front fan is doing nothing.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    OK just taken the side panel off (the window/fan panel) about 10 minutes ago. temps are now

According to PC Probe 2 my temps are

CPU 39
    Mobo 37

According to realtemp it is

46 45 43 43

Distance to TJ max is (whatever that is)

38 40 42 42

and according to EXPERtool my GPU is

58 with fixed 100% fan speed.

and the front fan, if i put my hand to the side (so to where the panel should be) i can feel the air, if i put my hand behind the 3 hdds (so where is should be blasting it) there is hardley any air at all.

I doubt its the hdds that are blocking the air as its supposed to hold 5 (but i can only fit 3 with my gfx card) but it does seem it is those that are causing a problem (but i could be wrong lol)
    Last edited by stoi; 11-14-2008 at 04:41 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    OK, now you're getting somewhere.
    The next step is to run the PC for a while and see if the BSODs stop.

With the exception of the CM Stacker (the original, not all the gawdawful variants that followed), I've never seen a case that came stock with decent aircooling.
    The front fan might be doing an OK job cooling the harddrives (Everest would tell you that) but is clearly failing to bring in enough air to reach beyond the drive cage.

Unfortunately, improving the situation takes the willingness to cut the case, lots of trial and error and/or replacing the case altogether.
    Alternatively, you can just run with the sidepanel(s) off.

Naturally, all this is predicated on the assumption that heat was the root cause of your problem to begin with...something we have yet to confirm.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Well touch wood, since i updated my driver last night, i have not had a crash (mind you i have not really done anything apart from watch 1 film), but like i said previously, a hell of a lot of people were/are getting that BSOD so I do not think it was the heat that was causing that.

but obviously if i can get the temps down anyway, it cant hurt.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    You should try, if you have time, to get the temps down anyway homie

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    well i have all the time in the world, its just the skills and knowhow (and cash if it needs it) that im lacking a lot off lol
    Last edited by stoi; 11-14-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast