Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question on PC temperatures!

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Well.. maybe i am doing something wrong, but this case i have, tsunami dream, struggles to fit 1 8800GTX in with the HDDs i have, never mind 2.

Its just to long, the card that is, and no way i can fit another 2 hdds in where they are supposed to go, especially with the connections as well.

Thats why i like the X2000 as the HDDs go underneath, but then it only holds 6, so looking at the 80b which holds 12.

I only have 3 atm, but cant fit anymore in this case like i said, so had to buy an external. and i still need more space.

I go on downloading sprees on NG, lately all the NDS games, 150 PSP games +more a lot more i want to download, 400gig of HD Movies, 300gig of Wii games.

I just queue them all up in usenet, and let them download in a couple of days, i can just never be arsed to burn them off quick enough lol

so the main thing for me is more storage, i think even if i have 12TB of storage it would be full in a matter of weeks lol

and yes i have got the latest bios, but i have played a game, watched films, and no BSOD, so it looks like its fixed

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I know what you mean in my Antec 900 space was tight between the GFX card and the HDD's but I used some right angle SATA cables.

Have you looked at the Silverstone TJ07? My recent purchase and I LOVE it (Thanks again Clocker)all aluminum TONS of fans and LOADS of space especially if you're not water cooling anything

6 drive bays down below and if need be you could use 5 out of the 6 up top(but you would need to get some 5 1/4" to 3 1/2" reducers)

I can honestly say this is the highest quality case I have owned to date and roomy?? You could park a Dodge in there
    Last edited by Detale; 11-16-2008 at 01:10 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well Ebuyer dont sell those, and on ebay.co.uk they are the same price in pounds as newegg has them in dollars lol

Thermaltake Xaser Vi VG400LBWS Water cooled PC case

I have just seen that though which looks promising.

no idea lol, its going to have to wait until after xmas anyway, kids come first or its a divorce lol so i had better hold off for a couple of months, prices may have dropped through the floor by then (hopefully)
    Last edited by stoi; 11-16-2008 at 01:28 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    I looked up the TT case and see many places selling it with a WC kit what are the specs on the WC kit you were looking at?

I did a quick search and came up with this place here
    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1241.html
    They have the TJ07 for:
    Price: £189.79 £223.00 Inc VAT at 17.5%

Whatever the HELL that means but either price is way better than newegg
    223.00 EUR=282.710 USD
    Last edited by Detale; 11-16-2008 at 03:33 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...2BSI%26otn%3D4

thats the one i seen

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...2BSI%26otn%3D4

but that one caught my eye as well.

suppose i am just dreaming atm lol i will probably end up either just staying with this one, or getting one that is not much better knowing me lol

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    Well do like me man, save the pennies or whatever you have left over from Xmas and then pounce when the wife isn't looking. God I hope she doesn't see this
    Last edited by Detale; 11-18-2008 at 07:37 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    colombianino's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    i would go with the TJ07. though your problem seems to be caused by overheat, you could try adding additional fans too.

ps: i wouldn't try anything flashy (with neon lights, etc) the Wi-Fi adapter's little blue light already bothers me enough to sleep. unless it doesn't bother you at all, but that being made all out of aluminum and having 4 fans already in the case is a plus.
    There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.
    Albert Einstein

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Although I still believe that the TJ07 is a great case, it's total overkill for most systems due to it's size and expense.
    If money is not a problem and you like the look, then by all means, go for it.
    Otherwise, there are other options that can be just as- and arguably, even more- effective for a lot less money.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    like....

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Otherwise, there are other options that can be just as- and arguably, even more- effective for a lot less money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    like....
    Depends on the hardware.
    Everything depends on the hardware.

In general, we do things completely back-asswards during a build...and yes, this includes me.

Typically, everything gets ordered at once, assembled, up and running and then try to figure out how to cool it.
    Throw an aftermarket cooler (or coolers) at it, maybe add a fan or two, maybe even hack the case to add more fans.

It would be more logical to assemble the hardware outside the case, run it and see what you actually have to deal with and then pick an appropriate enclosure and heatsinks.

Furthermore, just look at the TJ07...when was the last time you saw a running PC that needed seven slots for optical drives?
    Used to be that it made sense to have a ROM and a burner- burners were expensive so you saved it for when you actually needed it and used the ROM for everything else.
    Now that you can get a good burner for under $30, there's no point to this strategy...for most people, one optical drive is all that's necessary.
    That leaves six open slots empty, a lot of wasted space.

Let's talk about cooling.
    We'll ignore watercooling FTM since it's such a fringe market.
    I see many cases these days with fans all over the place, a graphic example of "the more the merrier" theory of cooling.
    "Case airflow" is the holy grail of aircooling.

Bah, humbug.
    Do you know how many fans- and how powerful they have to be- to actually achieve those darling flow patterns that case makers like to illustrate with all those blue and red arrows?
    A metric buttload, that's how many.

Here is one of the first cases I really got down and dirty with...

Those fans are 120 x 38mm Comair Rotrons- each rated at 150cfm- and this pic only shows four of 'em...there were 2 more at the front and one more on the other side. They don't run off the PC's PSU either, they were 110v units that plug directly into the wall.
    Now that case had some airflow.

It also sounded like a Sikorsky helicopter was in the room and would suck up and atomize a cat from 10' away.
    All in all, not a terribly successful project.
    Especially from the cat's (R.I.P.) viewpoint.

Here's what Thermaltake says about Stoi's case...
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermaltake
    Thermaltake is a respected leader in computer thermal solutions technology. Thermaltake has increasingly enjoyed the adoption of its thermal strategies by OEM and ODM companies worldwide. Its engineers are masters of airflow analysis, material conductivity and efficiency design. Thermaltake's unwavering devotion to quality and customer satisfaction has earned its products the approval of computer enthusiasts everywhere.

PRODUCT FEATURES:

Highly efficient ventilation;
    Mirror coating;
    Dual USB 2.0, IEEE 1394 FireWire, Audio & Speaker ports;
    Ultra light;
    Lockable safety side-panel;
    Retractable foot stand.
    Now, compare that to what Stoi says about the "airflow"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoi
    and the front fan, if i put my hand to the side (so to where the panel should be) i can feel the air, if i put my hand behind the 3 hdds (so where is should be blasting it) there is hardley any air at all.
    Airflow, my ass.
    That front fan is probably doing an OK job of cooling the hard drives but beyond that, it's useless.

So, what case do I recommend?
    I don't...the whole point of this screed is to demonstrate that each PC is different and until you know what you're dealing with you can't really make an educated guess.

Took me while to get to the point, didn't it?
    Last edited by clocker; 11-25-2008 at 01:34 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast