Thread: Quickpar won't fix from pars

I've downloaded a few nzbs and they needed some par files to fix the rar. I downloaded the right amount of blocks needed to fix the file, put it into quickpar and attempted to repair. The recovery failed so i downloaded more blocks... I only needed 3 and now I have 65 blocks for quickpar to repair from. Yet the recovery contunally fails. This happened with another file and I repeatedly tried to fix it until it finally worked.

Does anyone else have this problem, know of a fix, or know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by badcartoonist; 11-14-2008 at 07:30 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    NZB Looter
    Was your hard drive full?

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    nope... i have 272 gb left on my hard drive.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by badcartoonist View Post
    I've downloaded a few nzbs and they needed some par files to fix the rar. I downloaded the right amount of blocks needed to fix the file, put it into quickpar and attempted to repair. The recovery failed so i downloaded more blocks... I only needed 3 and now I have 65 blocks for quickpar to repair from. Yet the recovery contunally fails. This happened with another file and I repeatedly tried to fix it until it finally worked.

Does anyone else have this problem, know of a fix, or know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    You may be nothing wrong; over the years I've hit many recovery files that the original poster *crewed up, and couldn't fix the files. Are you clicking on the 'base' par2 file (the one before the 'vol' types), or are you picking one of the 'vol' files?

If you're using the (filename).par2 file, try the (filename).volxxx files each in turn. That MAY 'start up' and recover the missing bits.

Exactly why this occurs is a 'somewhat' mystery, but I believe it happens because the poster utilizes 'built-in' par generation in some of the newsreaders/posters programs out there, and simply doesn't pay good attention to what they're doing. Maybe. I haven't hit any 'bad' par2 files lately, but I only have to repair maybe 1 out of some 20 or so d/l's, as it is; probably been at least a year or more since I hit one that wouldn't repair, with the same problem as you noted.

Give what I said a try, and see if it'll work.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    that's not working either.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    beck38 i tried that method again and it works on most other files, but not the one that i originally had trouble with. i'm just chalking that up to being a possible bad file.

Thanks though.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    beck38 i tried that method again and it works on most other files, but not the one that i originally had trouble with. i'm just chalking that up to being a possible bad file.

Thanks though.
    Sorry! Well, this is like I said, the poster failed to do 'due diligence' on their upload.

Actually, I in clearing out the cobwebs, I did hit a 'bad one' a couple months ago, and it was from someone I know kinda (from the nfo 'design') that I grab lots of stuff. But it goes to show that again, 'due diligence'... sometimes everybody drops the ball.

Hopefully, it wasn't something rare, ungetable from any other source.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad

Thanks in advance.
    can i have a link to the particular file please?
    Pimpn aint easy ®

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDOSE View Post

Thanks in advance.
    can i have a link to the particular file please?
    Doubt it, prolly a pron file.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    kewlmonk's Avatar I'm your huckleberry
    im having the same problem too. This never happened before - only started happening a few weeks ago. Whats happening?!
    King of Swamp Castle: You only killed the bride's father, you know.
    Sir Lancelot: Well, I didn't mean to.
    King of Swamp Castle: Didn't mean to? You put your sword right through his head.
    Sir Lancelot: Oh dear... is he all right?