Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: i7 Processor 920 Available NOW!!

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I thought they were due out in Jan WTF.
    i7 Processor 920

$299.99

i7 Extreme Edition Processor 965
    "The Fastest Desktop Processor on the Planet"

$999.99

More at MicroCenter

Looks like I'm saving up prob after the holidays though. Damn kids and their Xmas stuff!!!

Looks like Newegg has them too, but at a much higher price
    Last edited by Detale; 11-16-2008 at 08:27 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I thought this was an interesting way to look at those.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    WOW Im stunned, Thanks so much man. Here is the long and short of it. "Bang for your buck" in a nutshell

Who Knew

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Yup.
    It's that perspective that let's me still recommend the e8400, even this deep into it's life cycle.
    The q6600 is the surprise winner but I don't like it's increased heat output (thus, the need for aftermarket cooling) and the fact that most software is still multicore oblivious.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I agree man, Why arent more software companies jumping on the, what is now standard, multi core CPU's I'll never know

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    They don't because they're lazy...look how many didn't even prepare for Vista and they had a long leadtime to work with.
    Besides, judging from what I see at the recycling center, even dual-cores are still rare as hen's teeth in the "real world".

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I'v been thinking of that lately about the release of Windows 7 I wonder because its so much like Vista will the drivers be the same or will we have another Vista Driver issue? I know exactly what you mean about C2D rarity. When I do builds for people in the $300-$500 range they are always surprised they get a Core 2 Duo inside.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Kinda sucks they changed the type of motherboard you can use, but I can't wait till become cheaper.
    See ya in another life, brother.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Yeah and I'm pretty sure you have to use DDR 3 Ram also

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Yes, you will and don't count on it ever being as cheap as DDR2 is now.

The current bargain basement price of DDR2 is the result of a perfect storm of events- good for us, terrible for manufacturers, and not likely to be repeated anytime soon.

The disconnect between the computing power available with new platforms and the use to which it is put grows ever greater.
    Two separate incidents this weekend brought this to mind-

-An elderly neighbor (all my neighbors are old, come to think of it) was visited by her kids ("kids"=40 years old+, in this case) and they were appalled by her 17" CRT monitor.
    A quick trip to Costco brought her a 22" widescreen LCD which the son hooked up ("See how much nicer this is? Merry Christmas, Mom!") and as they left he even carted away her old, obsolete monitor.
    Such nice children.
    Later that evening I get a call.
    She can't read any of the text, even the icons are too small for her to recognize.
    Upping the font dpi does no good, so slowly but surely the resolution gets downgraded.
    I forget what absurd setting we ended up with but each pixel is the size of a Lego and the screen looks like something from the fifties.
    Thanks, kids.

-The second incident involved the new secretary of my home owners association.
    She was given CDs containing the minutes from meetings (until last year these were kept on floppies, fer crissake!) and her Office program wouldn't recognize them.
    Because she was using Office 95 (no doubt pirated from her last job before retiring- in fact, that may be where her whole computer came from..."No gold watch for you, here, have an obsolete PC instead!") and the last secretary had a later version.
    I don't use Office (and never have actually) so I left her to her own devices.

Yeah, both these users are going to benefit greatly from the new i7 platform...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast