Thread: Black Widow 4830 Pro

I have a Black Widow 4830 pro scanner, has anyone got one of these or knows anything about them, i'm trying to find out if there is a scanner driver's scale feature on it , or is this feature only on certain scanner's.

THIS IS WHAT IT SAYS

If you want to enlarge or reduce a previously scanned image without losing resolution, use your scanner driver's scale feature and rescan the image instead of re-sizing the image using image editing software.

This will let you retain the resolution of the previously scanned image, but allow you to vary the size of your new image.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Originally posted by sindasox@8 September 2003 - 10:08
    THIS IS WHAT IT SAYS
    this is what WHAT says? you neglected to mention what "it" is.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    THIS IS WHAT IT SAYS on my printer software disc concerning enlarging a scanned image without losing resolution.
    If you want to enlarge or reduce a previously scanned image without losing resolution, use your scanner driver's scale feature and rescan the image instead of re-sizing the image using image editing software.

This will let you retain the resolution of the previously scanned image, but allow you to vary the size of your new image.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    cockboy's Avatar Poster
    I have a black widow 4830 pro and the only way that i know to enlarge details in an image to enlarge it to , say a4 , is to scan at a higher resolution (600 dpi being the optical resolution on a 4830 pro).
    Maybe that is the scale that your printer manual or whatever is refering to.
    P.S. I've been using my 4830pro for 3 odd years now and hav'nt had a problem with it, most scanning that i do is done at 300 dpi as this gives good 1 to 1 quality for cd labels and covers, 600 for to print at photo quality although you have to have a quality image to scan to begin with.
    Sorry about the lecture but I've had a bit of wizz and it makes you waffle quite a bit , yeehaa!
    Dust2Dust
    P.P.S. a man in a computer shop (self professed expert,) said that anything over 600-1200 dpi is a waste as most photo's dont have that much detail in them to begin with, so say's the man i was trying to buy a new scanner from , thats why i still have 4830 the main scanner for me!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i would say that scanning at a higher dots-per-inch (dpi) setting is the way to go, if you're concerned about distortion from resizing.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    my scanner has a resize feauture, its on the setup page when i scan, it scans it in the resizes it,

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Ok so nobody knows if there is a SCANNER DRIVER'S SCALE FEATURE on the Black Widow 4830 pro Scanner, what i want to know is if i put a 7x5 print in my scanner, and then scan it how do i then enlarge it to say 10x8, it says in on my printer software CD to use your'e SCANNER DRIVER'S SCALE FEATURE to enlarge a print, it seems like i havent got this feature so how do i enlarge my prints.

DPI settings are all done on the printer settings,the only thing to adjust on the Black Widow is the resolution,what should this be set at for decent quality prints.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    cockboy's Avatar Poster
    What driver are you using for "The Scanner" (hereby known as 48), on my scanner i have area select so as to only scan what part of photo or image i need, descreen , which makes magazine scans better apparently, Oh , have you checked that you are sending scan to programme and not directly to printer as this will give you little control over how the image will print out, try changing to the "send to application" function and if prompted, select the exe file of your favorate art/drawing program.
    also try scanning from within a art/drawing prog (select file then aquire then 4830pro ) to open 48's scan options screen.
    Try advanced options for more "expert" features .
    I have scanned pics 6x4 and enlarged to a4 using photoshop's image resize option and have gotten excellent results, especially on photo-qual paper.
    There i go again, rabbiting on and on , typing bollox that probably makes no sense to anyone, even me.
    But seriously, I've been using my 48 for 4+ years and no probs at all, bit loud though , but then so is my epson 810photo, sounds like someone with an electric planer.
    Bye bye
    Cockboy!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you don't have a resize feature (mine says it has, but I can't work out how to use it), simply use the following method.
    If you want your final resolution to be say 200dpi, but you want the image to be 50% bigger than the original (ie 1.5 times as big) simply scan at 1.5 times the final resolution (in this case 300dpi). This gives the extra data you require for the final picture, but the picture is too small.
    Now simply rescale the picture (in software) by 1.5 and this reduces the resolution back to what you origianlly wanted while at the same time giving you the picture size you wanted.

Edit: clarification.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Cockboy, What do you set your'e resolution at on your'e Black Widow 4830, thats the only thing you can adjust on the scanner isnt it.

50________________4800 What do you mean scan at 300 dpi or 600 dpi there's no dpi settings on my scanner only on my printer.
    Just done a couple of test prints with a 7x5 print scanned it at different resolutions and put it into adobe they all came out crap