Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XP "Randomly" Freezes

lynx's Avatar .
    Well, it really depends on what processor you've got.

If it is an Intel processor, then the memory controller is on the motherboard so the problem is unlikely to be the processor.

If it is one of the earlier AMD processors then the above applies.

If it is a later AMD processor (Athlon 64 or later) then the memory controller is in the processor chip. In that case the problem could be with either the processor or the motherboard.

Is there any overclocking involved? If so, reverting to standard settings might be an idea to try to eliminate that as a possibility.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    It's an d6600 at stock speed. So from what you wrote, it's got to be the motherboard?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    The Magic Eight Ball says: "Chances are good".
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Got a new mobo and STILL have the same problem

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    OK, fixed it. I was installing Xp on a partition and the partition must have been corrupt. Formatted the entire disk and no more problems. I'm out $60 for a new mobo, but it overclocks better so I'm not too upset.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    OK, nevermind. Same problems as before. Ruled out the mobo, memory and hdd. All that remains is my cpu.

Clocker, would you agree that the cpu is the culprit?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I always get pissed off after reading these kind of posts , and the money that people pay out to self diagnose the problem .

That's not a slag against you mbucaril but find a good white box store in your neighborhood that would test for you . I'v made the same mistake on my own buying a new Psu , memory to find its the mobo .

Most would charge maybe 20-30 bucks to tell you . Hey you can still hold your head up high when you say thanks, I'll install it myself or if you buy there won't charge for the labour.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Thanks for the advice peat, I think I'm gonna take a trip to the geek squad tomorrow.
    Last edited by mbucari1; 11-28-2008 at 03:50 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Oh no not the Geek Squad . I tease and glad you did n't take it personal . You need to find a little Mom and Pop store that has a " Clocker " type mentality that strives for service .

Your problem ,like mine is your stubborn and just a lil bit of knowledge is dangerous .

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    LOL. thanks for the continued advice. I think I know just the place. A mom & pop joint just a few miles away called Delta Computers.

So between you, me and the interwebz, what's wrong with the geek squad? I never used them before. I applied there once, but I think the psych evaluation did me in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast