Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XP "Randomly" Freezes

mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Hello, I'm having a persisting problem with XP freezing almost randomly. It still accepts mouse input though. I have resinstalled windows 3 times and the problem still exists. I haven't made any hardware changes or software changes since my machine was working (a few weeks ago).

The Reason I say almost randomly is that there's 1 thing that almost always causes a freeze. Running Process Monitor, clicking apply in the filter form. It also froze while performing a search in notepad++ and running the installer for winrar. Those are just the specific instances I can remember, it has done it many more times than that. I'm also experiencing intolerable game lag with the same settings I've always used.

Any Ideas?
    Last edited by mbucari1; 11-21-2008 at 06:30 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    have you tried running any tests, such as mem tests? Possibly bad memory?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    no, thanks for the tip. Will do.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    colombianino's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    i also remember that mine use to do this (my old one). the problem ended up being the hard drive which was around its time, after we got a new one it wouldn't recognize the old one. (wouldn't show up in explorer). we also changed mobo first but that wasn't what was making it freeze.

try also an hdd check, or check you mobo.

other thoughts: have you checked inside to see if maybe something's loose or maybe broken?
    There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.
    Albert Einstein

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    ok, my hdd passed memtest86 and my hdd passed seatools' tests. But my processor is idling at 81C!! Could that be it? My cpu always ran hot, but I don't remember it ever running this hot. It's an e6600 at stock speeds with stock cooling.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    my processor is idling at 81C!! Could that be it?
    Yes, it most certainly could.
    First of all, how are you getting the CPU temp?

Secondly, assuming that temp is accurate- or even close to accurate- you need to find out why it's so high.
    Typically, dust buildup in the heatsink would be the culprit but given the incredibly shitty Intel heatsink retention system, it's certainly possible that the sink isn't even fully fastened down.
    I'd check this out ASAP.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I bought and installed a zelman cooler and now my system idles around 38c. However, the problem still exists. It isn't a normal freeze though. Programs in the background continue to function normaly, but my mouse and keyboard don't work properly. I can move the mouse, but can't click. ctrl+alt+del brings up the task manager, but it takes a while and once it's up I can't control it with the keyboard. In games, it seems like input is delayed more than regular game lag. I'll press the crouch button and a second later I'll crouch. Camera movement is delayed as well.

Maybe my usb is bad?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Then you might begin to suspect the motherboard itself.
    If the keyboard is USB, try using a USB to PS2 adaptor and see if the keyboard at least works properly.
    If they are both USB, try moving the plugs to different ports.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    OK, I tried the usb to ps2 adapter and sill having the same problems. I also tried different usb ports with the same result.

I decided to run memtest86 again for a lot longer this time and here's what it yielded. Could this be the cause?

EDIT** Some more info which might point to my mobo. For months half my processor would be cohnsumed by Hardware Interrupts. I finally narrowed down the cause to one of my hard drives. I switched the sata port and that fixed that problem. I can't be sure, but my current trouble MIGHT have started when I switched the sata ports.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mbucari1; 11-23-2008 at 03:58 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    OK, I got my hands on a clean stick of ddr2 and I'm still having the same problems. I'm thinking mobo, but could it also be the processor?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast