Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Internet

hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I am currently at a University and want to use their internet bandwith to download and seed.
    However whenever I am on their network my downloads start and then all the bandwith is taken away instantly but webpages still work.
    I am thinking they are killing my connection as soon as they see alot of bandwith being drawn.
    Is there anyway to prevent this or am I screwed? BTW I am on a mac laptop.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I'm pretty sure you're screwed. They tend to lock that shit down and ban those that pirate pretty quickly.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    If you're ballsy you might want to go with a VPN tunnel.

But I don't know a way to use only their connection...
    Last edited by Rigel9; 11-22-2008 at 01:16 AM.
    feels good, man

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    YAY FOR TRADING/! BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by vobilli
    I'm pretty sure you're screwed.
    wow, why the jump to such a bold (C WAT I DID THAR?!/1) conclusion?

anyways, you (the op) and i are alike; i realized the nerds at it are buttplugging all of the student's ports so they won't infect the network. you can try vpn'ing your traffic or port sniff for an open one, but the intarweb superstars on campus might notice it and cut you off completely; if the traffic is suspicious, it might get worse

i would say move off campus and subscribe to another internet provider, if you can

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    best solution for the time being might be a cheap and trustworthy seedbox with linux savvy friends, whatbox, etc...
    Last edited by Rigel9; 11-22-2008 at 02:23 AM.
    feels good, man

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    YAY FOR TRADING/! BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    do you think that that kind of traffic from a seedbox will go unnoticed? i have considered renting one, but with the ~75x speeds on my network i would easily get canned from the university intranet

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Many schools that are on a network are pretty locked down when it comes to P2P sharing. Kind of like Comcast and their throttled uploads! Not entirely sure what can be done about it because most of the limited options (i.e. seedbox) are risky and can be traced back to you.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    colbert's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Moving off campus is about your only solution. Most colleges including the one I attended have the campus network on lockdown for anything other than "research" and "learning".

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Have you tried relakks? I used it at my uni and it did the job. If they say anything just say its a linux distro, they should be far less likely to say anything that way.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I live off campus but the internet available pails in comparison to the school internet. What program could I use to port sniff the network?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast