Thread: how to delete installed vista files from xp? help me!

Question Mark

hi all,

I had ms xp on drive c:

and i installed vista on drive d:\
    so i had a dual boot sys.

later on i had to format c:\ and installed a fresh xp on c:\ again/

well, my question is how to delete vista files on drive d without formatting it as i have some other stuff i wanna keep on it?

i tried deleting but i got error message (access denied)
    i tried unlocker the latest version but it do nothing.

any ideas?
    Last edited by ShawEgypt; 11-29-2008 at 10:21 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    First of all you're going to have to deal with the bootloader.
    Vista's bootloader is different than XP's and if you just delete Vista, you'll not be able to access XP.
    VistaBootPro will help you deal with this. Install it in Vista and follow the directions to remove the Vista bootloader.

Before doing this though, you'll need to deal with whatever files are on the Vista partition/drive that you want to save. Can't you just move them to the XP drive so you can format the Vista drive?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    First of all you're going to have to deal with the bootloader.
    Vista's bootloader is different than XP's and if you just delete Vista, you'll not be able to access XP.
    VistaBootPro will help you deal with this. Install it in Vista and follow the directions to remove the Vista bootloader.

Before doing this though, you'll need to deal with whatever files are on the Vista partition/drive that you want to save. Can't you just move them to the XP drive so you can format the Vista drive?
    i already formatted c drive so i removed the boot loader the problem is i can not delete vista installation files from drive d which is more than 140 gigs and vista files are approx. 8 gigs, so i have to delete vista files withou formatting the drive d but i still have the access denied thing when trying to delete them

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    any ideas?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I've never used this, never needed it, but try: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/removereboot.html

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    thank u,
    but already treied it but in vain

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    have you tried taking out the drive, put it in an enclosure and attach it to another computer to retrieve the files?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    sanjana's Avatar Cherish your life... BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    For your information if you have problem in deleting the files or folders from XP is because you don't have the admin rights to delete the files.. though you logged in as admin...

To fix this, please inherit the permissions from Vista admin to your user account...

From Xp open the D: Drive and Right click on the folder that you want to delete.

To do so, right click on the folder that you want to delete...

Click on the properties.
    Click on the Security tab.
    If you don't have the security tab in the properties window:
    (Open the My computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Uncheck the option as Simple file sharing to see the security tab for each folder)

Click on the Add button and add the User name of Xp account that you logged in and inherit the permission with full control.

Once you inherit the permission to your user account.. you should be able to delete the folder since you are the owner for the folder..

Let me know if this does not work...
    I am proud to be a part of this communities.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjana View Post
    For your information if you have problem in deleting the files or folders from XP is because you don't have the admin rights to delete the files.. though you logged in as admin...

To fix this, please inherit the permissions from Vista admin to your user account...

From Xp open the D: Drive and Right click on the folder that you want to delete.

To do so, right click on the folder that you want to delete...

Click on the properties.
    Click on the Security tab.
    If you don't have the security tab in the properties window:
    (Open the My computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Uncheck the option as Simple file sharing to see the security tab for each folder)

Click on the Add button and add the User name of Xp account that you logged in and inherit the permission with full control.

Once you inherit the permission to your user account.. you should be able to delete the folder since you are the owner for the folder..

You are a genius it worked perefectly
    thank you very much

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    sanjana's Avatar Cherish your life... BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawEgypt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjana View Post
    the folder..

You are a genius it worked perefectly
    thank you very much
    U r welcome..

I had the similar issues in the past and this information did helped me a lot.
    I am proud to be a part of this communities.