Thread: Is it possible to internalize an external DVD Drive?

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› BT Rep: +1
    I've been a laptop user for the past ~6 years, so I've always needed an external DVD burner. Now that I'm gonna be building a desktop, I figure why not internalize it if it's possible? Anyone know if this can be done? Thanks in advance!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    I dare say it may be possible, but in all probability the parts needed would cost more than a new internal DVD burner.

In any case, why bother. Assuming that what you've got is USB2.0 compatible it is unlikely that you will get much in the way of performance increase.

On the other hand, if it is 6 years old (you haven't said if you've done upgrades in the meantime) you are probably due for a replacement anyway.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Whats a single layer Dvd rw these days 30.00 cnd . ? Dual is around 40.00 . I like your thinking tho reuse or recycle is the name of the game .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    I dare say it may be possible, but in all probability the parts needed would cost more than a new internal DVD burner.

In any case, why bother. Assuming that what you've got is USB2.0 compatible it is unlikely that you will get much in the way of performance increase.

On the other hand, if it is 6 years old (you haven't said if you've done upgrades in the meantime) you are probably due for a replacement anyway.
    Nope, It was bought last year, so it's relatively new. The reason I wanna internalize it is really for aesthetics, not performance. I'd much rather have it internally then sitting on my desk.

In any case, I went ahead and disassembled it, and it looks to be a Sony DRU-830a. Looks like the only things I need are a bezel, IDE, and power cable. Anyone know where I can purchase a black bezel for it?
    Last edited by Nickthestick91; 12-04-2008 at 03:27 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    For the $20USD or so bucks go for the new one man.

To answer your question. Depends on the model of the drive. Some of the Sony externals are simply a regular DVD drive inside an enclosure. Unplug the IDE/SATA and the power and it's the same thing. Some others are not ,they are propriatary drives hard wired in there. Also do the even make single layer drives anymore??

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Looking on ebay, I'm finding that most used external DVD writers are selling for more than the cost of a new internal drive.

I still say that's the way to go - nothing is wasted as the new owner requires the power supply, case etc, and you could even make a little money at the same time.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    What you could do is to buy a new internal Sony DRU 830a, one that comes in white with a black bezel inside to change colors. Keep the bezel and sell the drive and your good to go. I really don't know if you can actually buy a Sony with an extra bezel, I only know I hav bought drives with extra bezels and they would not be Sonys' since I am boycotting the rootkit installing, securom creating a-hole of a company.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    This model in the reviews does come with a white and black bezel but the cheapest I saw if for at a glance was $30 for all that hassle I'd say just get a new one for twenty something bucks, put the external back together and admit defeat