Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cd Burner Questions

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    52X Internal veloCD

I can get this for $69 after $20 Rebate(I know Rebates do not always work out).I use TDK CDrs and never have had a problem with them and I hear TDK make good Burners.Have read good reviews on this drive and yes.....the Blue Tray is cool...will admit.

Am replaceing a Yamaha 16x so 52x will save me alot of time.Hopefully this the last CD Burner I ever Buy.
    I also hear that this is really a Lite ON with a TDK faceplate...are Lite Ons as good as People say?

I am mainly going to use this Drive for DATA Storage(MP3s).

I know what alot of people are going to say.Go get a DVD Burner....but right now I do not have the Cash to spend $200 or more on a good name brand DVD Burner and need to Burn some stuff right away.Plus I am waiting for faster Speeds and the technology to get better.

One other thing.....can I have 2 Burners in one PC?I have a slow ass LG 12X CD-RW/DVD-ROM in this PC I plan on putting this new Burner in(Yamaha 16x is in other Machine) and just wonder if it will work.Would like to keep the DVD Player.

FC B)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I dunno about the TDK, but lite on's are good and v. cheap. Btw 52x means the max rate it burns at, the average over a disk will be lower.
    You can have 4 devices (ie 4 drives of: cd , dvd, hard disk. Floppy doesn't count) at once on a computer any more and u would need to buy an extension card. So if at the moment u have just a cdrw/dvd combo drive and you don't have 3 hard drives it should be fine.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Lite-on 52x32x52x, £31 in UK = US$50 ?
    A couple of my friends have these and have had no problems with them at all.

You should be able to find them in US for under $60 including shipping.

I've currently go a cd burner and a dvd burner installed a the same time, there are no probs with Nero, simply select the correct device before burning. Also got a dvd player (so I can do dvd to dvd) and an old scsi cd-rom drive (very slow, but I have never failed to make a disk image with this drive, something I can't say for other drives). Oh, and three virtual drives (one Nero imagedrive, 2 DAEMON drives).

The big problem is remembering which drive is which.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Ok.....so right now I have LG 12X CD-RW/DVD-ROM, a 40 GB Hard Drive and a 80 GB External Harddrive(which I guess that does not count? ).

So I should be fine.Thanks guys.

Heard from a few people that Lite Ons are cheap...like cheaply made.But every place I look everybody seems to say how much they like them and they get good reviews.Just do not understand why TDK would use somebody elses equipment and not their own.To save Money I guess.....just slap their name on it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Yeah my lite on is great - most importantly compatible with all programs. Oh how glad I am I did not buy an HP.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I have an older TDK velo 32/10/40x. No problems. I advise buying it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    This is what the guys at cdrlabs.com said back on January 27th 2003.....

"TDK's new veloCD 52/24/48 is the first drive we've tested that can write faster than it reads. In a world where many people are of the mindset that faster is better, the veloCD's 48x read speeds might make some shy away from the drive. While TDK claims that the veloCD is better because reading at 48x is safer than at 52x, I have a feeling that they're going to have a hard time convincing buyers of this.

Even with its 48x read speeds, the veloCD 52/24/48 performed quite well in our tests. While the drive's CPU usage did get a little higher than we would have liked at times, it had no problems reading pressed and CD-R at speeds in excess of 48x and had some very good seek times. The veloCD also did very well in our DAE tests. It had no problems ripping audio CD's at 48x, but did not read scratched and dirty discs as well as some of the other drives we've tested.

TDK's new veloCD was also one of the fastest writers we've tested. The drive had no problems outperforming the 52x writers from ASUS and CyberDrive in our tests. More importantly, the drive's media compatibility was also very good. The veloCD was able to write at 52x to a variety of media while keeping the writing errors to a minimum. Unfortunately, the drive didn't do quite as well when rewriting. While the veloCD 52/24/48 performed very well in our Mt. Rainier tests, it was considerably slower than some of the other drives when packet writing or rewriting with programs like Nero."

Features: 9
    Installation: 9
    Performance: 8
    Overall: 9

Highs:
    Writes at 52x
    Good data transfer speeds with all types of media
    Rewrites at 24x
    Supports the Mt. Rainier format
    Good DAE speeds
    Low seek times
    Good media compatibility. Can write at 52x with a large selection of media
    Features Lite-On's SMART-BURN, SMART-X and VAS technologies
    Has a large selection of writing speeds between 52x and 4x
    Includes Ahead Software's Nero Express
    Supports UDMA 33
    Very good retail package. Drive includes media, software and even a CD labeling pen!

Lows:
    Reads at only 48x
    Slow rewriting performance
    Higher than normal CPU usage when reading CD's
    Has a 2048KB buffer
    Loud when reading and writing CD's
    Drive does not include any 24x Ultra Speed CD-RW media

So guess no more asking Questions.....just go and get it.....thanks guys.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Lite-on drives are good and well built. I just thought I would mention that you can get an LG 52x burner for around the same price (just incase you like your current LG). They are good too.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@9 September 2003 - 09:13
    Lite-on drives are good and well built. I just thought I would mention that you can get an LG 52x burner for around the same price (just incase you like your current LG). They are good too.
    Well it is really a TDK.....with a Lite on Drive.

I kinda like the cool Blue tray.....does that make me a sucker?

I never really liked this LG...as much as the Yamaha(too bad they stoped making them .)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    I have an LG combo drive (48x24x48+16 DVD) and I love it.This is my third burner and by far the best.You can pick up the same one I have for roughly $75.00 canadian.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast