Thread: Error message

Smile

When trying to download a file I get an error message that reads "Windows cannot open this file. To open this file,Windows need to know what program created it . Windows can go online to look it up automatically or you can manually select from a list of programs on ypur computer". I let it run automatically and I open sites that are selling software to solve the problem. I have already made the mistake of buying other software that I thought I needed but didn't.If I need software to correct this problem I would have know problem buying one but before I make that decision I thought that I would get some advice.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    If you right click the file and select properties, can you read the type of file?

3. File Sharing   -   #3

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnentier View Post
    If you right click the file and select properties, can you read the type of file?
    yes I can.It give the protocol, address and type.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    You haven't said what the file type is . Without that small detail, you can't be helped (except possibly by psychics) .
    Last edited by Spillage; 12-07-2008 at 09:33 AM.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by phil52 View Post
    It give the protocol, address and type.
    Is that information you get for the download link in Internet Explorer?

I meant after saving the file, find it and check properties.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35

7. File Sharing   -   #7

Smile

Yes it is in Internet Explorer. I have never tried to save a file, I've tried to open the file. I am new to all of this and I see that I might be making mistakes in the way that I'm trying to use the program. I did save a file this time and hit properties ,it open and gave the files name,type of file is winzip, open with winzip, it gave the location, size and size on disk,modivided ,date created and accessed date and that it was blocked by the senders computer and I have the option of unblocking it. Thats about it .Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spillage View Post
    You haven't said what the file type is . Without that small detail, you can't be helped (except possibly by psychics) .
    A movie file. Thanks

This is an extention to information that I provided earlier. I did click unblock in the preference box and the file did download into utorrent.Thanks
    Last edited by phil52; 12-07-2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Red pirate's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    make sure the file type first