Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What.CD interview and how it compares to Waffles

MODERATION BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by MjWoNeR View Post
    Because statistically the majority of users in a tracker are leechers other wise it does not work. And because I simply do not want to be an uploader at What.CD anyway. All I want is the biggest library of music torrents.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    It's all just a matter of opinion. What/Waffles are both very nice sites. But in im opinion, What is the "better" site. It has more content and Gazelle is so nice. If you're having such a hard time passing the interview, then just read up on whatever questions you have failed. Encoding music and transcodes really isn't a difficult subject. It may just be intimidating at first if you know nothing about it.

And by the way, if all that you're looking for is high quality mp3's, and Waffles doesn't have the album that you want, then just use Soulseek or RS forums(I don't even use What/Waffles anymore, only Pedro's when looking for some lossless). You're pretty much guaranteed to find whatever you're looking for with either of these two methods, and in various bitrates. And best of all, no seeding. It's something to think about if you can't make it into What.
    Well reading and learning a few things only to pass the interview and forgetting them right afterwards is an easy thing to do. I was just wondering if it really worth the trouble.

If being a leecher there requires so much knowledge I would expect them not to have 100.000 members to request every hidden type of music there is available all over the planet.

Can somebody say how many members they have and how many torrents uploaded?

Quote Originally Posted by ben99 View Post
    the test is really easy, you must not know anything about transcoding and all that good stuff...
    You are kidding right? They asked me if I have ever seen a spectral comparison lol
    um, yeah, easy question. The answer to that question is yes, you have adobe audition. GOOGLE FTW!
    Last edited by ben99; 12-08-2008 at 05:40 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by tX View Post

And just so you know, the interview isn't meant to be hard AT ALL. If you go in unprepared, then yes, you won't be able to answer anything. The idea is you read up on encoding 101 so you can survive at the site, without doing some stupid things like uploading trannies or mislabeling formats

And worth the trouble? Depends. For me, yes. But if you don't listen to much music, it probably wouldn't matter to you anyway.
    Anybody else find it strange that belonging to a music site requires encoding skills .

No?

I guess it would be useless to point out that 99% of the world's best musicians would fail the bloody test (of course every crappy sound engineer in the world would get in so it's a fair trade off).

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    MODERATION BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tX View Post

And just so you know, the interview isn't meant to be hard AT ALL. If you go in unprepared, then yes, you won't be able to answer anything. The idea is you read up on encoding 101 so you can survive at the site, without doing some stupid things like uploading trannies or mislabeling formats

And worth the trouble? Depends. For me, yes. But if you don't listen to much music, it probably wouldn't matter to you anyway.
    Anybody else find it strange that belonging to a music site requires encoding skills .

No?

I guess it would be useless to point out that 99% of the world's best musicians would fail the bloody test (of course every crappy sound engineer in the world would get in so it's a fair trade off).
    this is just to ensure that the members don't upload transcodes and make more work for the already overloaded staff. I'm not really seeing why this test is so hard for you. I took a test to get into oink, by the time that closed up shop, I knew all about transcodes. It's just a matter of actually reading up on it..

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    p0ster
    I invited a couple of RL friends, they had no idea what the formats were and which to download

Taking the interviews would eliminate such problems

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    I don't understand how you could fail.
    The interview is just so extremely easy. And I didn't know anything about FLAC and this stuff befor the interview...

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by killercam101 View Post
    If you're into mainstream music I don't think it matters which site you join you can even consider stmusic.
    Nowadays I can find jack shit on STMusic. That site has degenerated by leaps and bounds over the last 6 months or so.

Waffles is pretty hard to seed at compared to What.cd cause and from observing the forums the staff come off as very arrogant. SoftMp3 would be the best choice for you until you can get into What.cd (you might decide you don't even need it), or you could use the soulseek client as well, but that is not torrent related.
    Last edited by T.S.O.L.; 12-08-2008 at 06:10 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    kukushka's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post

No?

no. i'd prefer a crappy sound engineer who will steal all that he can from those best musicians and make a proper uploads to the site

btw, musicians that never saw any spectrum - who are they? illegal immigrants playing on the streets?
    Last edited by kukushka; 12-08-2008 at 06:14 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    illegal immigrants playing in the streets are still musicians, and not the worst ones
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    kukushka's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    illegal immigrants playing in the streets are still musicians, and not the worst ones
    maybe, but why the hell do we need them on what.cd if their methods of sharing music are far from technologically advanced ones?

..generally, if someone will say - i don't give a damn about uploads, i have a multi tb raid massive and 100 mbit home line, i'll wait for the next freeleech and will dl as much as i can, i like /list of favourite bands/ and i promise i will seed forever, here are my stats from torrent client, my crazy ratios on trackers and my shared folder...
    ...or - i don't know where to put money, i'm a donor on every bt site that i have.
    i think such requests will be filled within minutes in invite section, no need to go to the irc..

so, seems to me that huge majority of good users are already members there and from guys seeking invites the percentage of a fail torrenters gets higher and higher
    Last edited by kukushka; 12-08-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast