Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprocket Resurfaces...

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Looks good man as usual. I still haven't gotten my copy of that key yet . Also, where'd ya get that Bezel?
    Last edited by Detale; 12-14-2008 at 12:22 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    The bezel on the DVD is a Lian-li part.

What key?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Not to break balls but do you know the part number or where to get it. I'm still looking for a decent one for the front of my TJ07. I did a quick mod where it was a flush blank brushed aluminum plate so it looked like a cover but when you pushed it the tray opened As if it were a concealed drive, but I couldn't get it to work right 100% of the time and I gave up on it.

This key!!!

BTW man I don't think I said thi but noice cabeling job in this pic. good work

Does that foam silencer stuff really work? Did you buy that foram or is it something you had around the house?
    Last edited by Detale; 12-14-2008 at 03:50 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› BT Rep: +1
    Awesome!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Not to break balls but do you know the part number or where to get it.
    Does that foam silencer stuff really work? Did you buy that foram or is it something you had around the house?
    Bezel here.

It's not really specifically "silencing" foam- just packing from various motherboards, etc.
    I use it cosmetically.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Anyone care to speculate on the effect of a 4G OC on the E8400's lifespan?

If temps aren't crazy, what's the harm?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    It ain't the temp you need worry about, it's the voltage.
    Default core voltage is 1.25v and my comfort zone ends at 1.275v (which is extremely conservative). I've seen 24/7 chips running at 1.35v- and higher- but reports of performance degradation after a few months concern me.

Maximizing what the chip will give you at stock voltage is enough of a challenge for me.

I've never had a chip long enough to worry about "lifespan".
    AFAIK, all my old chips are still running just fine.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    It ain't the temp you need worry about, it's the voltage.
    Default core voltage is 1.25v and my comfort zone ends at 1.275v (which is extremely conservative). I've seen 24/7 chips running at 1.35v- and higher- but reports of performance degradation after a few months concern me.

Maximizing what the chip will give you at stock voltage is enough of a challenge for me.

I've never had a chip long enough to worry about "lifespan".
    AFAIK, all my old chips are still running just fine.
    Certainly nothing wrong with a certain Opteron.♦

Sounds like I could cruise around 4G with a slightly extended lifespan, then, eh?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Honestly, it's going to be a crapshoot.
    No way of knowing till you actually get running.

My first Wolfie was golden, would run 500 x 8, no prob.
    The second, not so much.
    The third is a killer chip but the thermal sensors are stuck below 50°...absolutely no movement at all. Once the chip heats up (i had to disable the heatsink fan), I get sensor movement of 8-9, which is good.
    This does not affect performance but makes temp monitoring useless.

Which is fine by me actually.
    Part of the move to air was a general desire to quit obsessing about performance.
    The chip will throttle if/when it gets too hot, beyond that, it really doesn't matter.

Well crap.
    A real brain fart just erased all the pics I had for this update.
    Oh well.

It all started when I discovered that my new eSATA port didn't work.
    Actually, the port itself is fine (whew!) but the opening was not large enough for the cable to seat fully. Turns out I had forgotten to account for the difference in material thickness between the TJ's bezel (.116") and the breakout panel the port was originally mounted on (.036").
    A bit more filing to widen the hole was needed and this meant disassembling the front panel again.

The filing took but a matter of minutes- you'd best believe I checked with a cable this time- and I decided to take advantage of the loose panel by installing a "clear CMOS" switch.
    The location of the CMOS header on the motherboard is extremely awkward, now I can clear it by just opening the front door and pressing the switch.
    This will probably come in handy as I begin to explore some of the more esoteric BIOS settings.

I also decided to reconfigure the HDDS but I'll get into that later.
    I rerouted some wiring, specifically the parts that run behind the motherboard. There was too much bulk back there and it made putting the sidepanel on a bit difficult.
    Much better now.

I've also decided to redo the upper front panel in the door but it's too damn cold for garage work today.
    'Twas -12° when I got up and it's only warmed to 6° this afternoon.
    Seems like a good day to drink and watch football.

Since I screwed up the pics of the PC I'll leave you with an image of my poor frozen car...
    Last edited by clocker; 12-14-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Shame all the pics were lost. I had the same esata problem when I did this to my Antec 900. I guess it's one of those things you forget about until you try to connect the plug. I had to mount the plate on top for it to work right on mine. Thanks for the link *ordered Glad you worked it out man. Jesus I thought it was cold in NYC this week. Oh and it's always a good day to drink
    Last edited by Detale; 12-14-2008 at 10:43 PM.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast