Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprocket Resurfaces...

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Actually, I need to play with some more.
    It is at least as good as the way it came and the two new fans are considerably quieter than the whiny original but it seems to me that the temps should be a lot better than before.

I plan on reversing the fan flow to see what difference that makes but have been busy with other mods and haven't gotten to it yet.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #82
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    The fan holes were originally cut with an adjustable trepanning tool (popularly referred to as a "widowmaker"). The rest of the fab was done with a drill press and a jigsaw.
    The mesh did indeed come from AC Ryan and the black anodized aluminum came from a set of Lian-li v2000 sidepanels.
    AC Ryan now sells black alloy panels in the 2mm thickness and that is what I'd go with if starting from scratch.

Knowing me however, as soon as I invested the $100 or so in new material, hacked it all up and installed it...I'd just decide to do something else.
    Mostly I enjoy the process more than the finished product.
    Jigsaw really. Damn good work man the Jigsaw is a hard tool to use when trying to make smooth round cuts like those appear to be. Hats off to you my man. Also any close ups on that GPU cooler would be cool if you had the time.
    Last edited by Detale; 12-30-2008 at 06:40 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    the Jigsaw is a hard tool to use when trying to make smooth round cuts like those appear to be. Hats off to you my man. Also any close ups on that GPU cooler would be cool if you had the time.
    Ah, the reading comprehension skills of today's yoot.
    All of the round holes were made with a tool like this...

...in a drillpress.
    One of the first lessons a craftsman must learn is to know what he can't do well and my attempts at hole cutting with a jigsaw look like they were gnawed by beavers.
    A circle is one of- perhaps the- easiest shapes for the untrained eye to find fault with.

I should be working with the vid card in the next few days, I'll get pics when I do.
    Last edited by clocker; 12-30-2008 at 01:12 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #84
    Yesterday I obtained Windows 7 (build 7000) and it is everything Vista should have been when first released.

Haven't had a lot of time on it yet but what I've seen so far is promising.
    It's using about a third less memory at idle, the control panel is much more logical, the install is easy and all my drivers- the ones that it didn't automatically install itself (for instance, Win7 was internet capable out of the box)- are working fine in Vista compatibility mode.

Even though this is a 32 bit system, it seems to recognize (and use) all 4 GB of RAM- not sure how that works.

The Performance Index has been upgraded- the new high score can be 7.9.

Sprocket seems perfectly comfortable, which of course, is all that matters.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #85
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    All of the round holes were made with a tool like this...

...in a drillpress.
    I went there and couldn't find it.

I think I want one; I've got bi-metal blades up to 3", but that would be aces on my Delta.

Yesterday I obtained Windows 7 (build 7000) and it is everything Vista should have been when first released.

Haven't had a lot of time on it yet but what I've seen so far is promising.
    It's using about a third less memory at idle, the control panel is much more logical, the install is easy and all my drivers- the ones that it didn't automatically install itself (for instance, Win7 was internet capable out of the box)- are working fine in Vista compatibility mode.

Even though this is a 32 bit system, it seems to recognize (and use) all 4 GB of RAM- not sure how that works.

The Performance Index has been upgraded- the new high score can be 7.9.

Sprocket seems perfectly comfortable, which of course, is all that matters.
    How big a file is it?

I think I want to try it before I finalize my 64-bit; I could play with it on the bench first.
    Last edited by j2k4; 12-31-2008 at 03:32 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Software & Hardware   -   #86
    2.43 GB.

MS will be releasing the official public beta within the next two weeks (I hear).
    No word on the availability of a 64 bit version...although I'm amazed- and somewhat disgusted- that the 32 bit version even exists.

Are we RAIDED now?
    Last edited by clocker; 12-31-2008 at 03:36 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #87
    2.43 GB.

MS will be releasing the official public beta within the next two weeks (I hear).
    No word on the availability of a 64 bit version...although I'm amazed- and somewhat disgusted- that the 32 bit version even exists.

Are we RAIDED now?
    Found it; DLing it now...the Softpedia blurb said next month for release, but.

It is kinda disgusting, but I think only because there isn't a concurrent 64-bit version.

Marketing would seem to dictate 32-bit first, although one can (and should) certainly blame them for not just doing away with it several years ago.

We are indeed RAIDed; I am re-installing Prophesy, as it's install requires a bit of extraordinary attention to prompts in order to avoid an easily mis-chosen option to install all the "really neat" add-on proggies.

It also seems Prophesy is a eight-tenths "Vista" version of XP, although it is 64 bit.

At this point, I'm not sure how much I mind - if it's pretty, I'll keep it a while.

Still mulling cabling options and another Newegg order.

The pending display of imagery must adhere to certain standards, you see.

Thinking about another sound-card, too - maybe this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102017
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. Software & Hardware   -   #88
    The constant pandering to "legacy" hardware and software has slowed progress to an unacceptable degree.
    If you aren't running a newer Intel dual/quad or at least an AMD Hammer, then you have no business trying to use the OS anyway.
    If your software/peripheral vendor hasn't built 64 bit Vista drivers yet, then it's time to find new software and devices...they have just been lazy and are not worthy of your patronage.

Ditch "Prophesy" and try Win 7.
    Why use a tarted up version of XP when you could have the real deal?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #89
    As it turns out, Prophesy actually is Vista; however, I now have the Win7 beta - maybe I'll try my hand at VM, if I have time...your post is well-reasoned, though, as ever.

-Mark Twain

10. Software & Hardware   -   #90
    I'd forgo the VM option and just full install the 7.
    It's that good.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast