Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprocket Resurfaces...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I know it worked for J2 without drivers also...your version may have been doctored or something.
    It worked, but I gave up on Win7 for now; too much fiddling around getting things to work.

Basic setup worked nicely, though; I got to do a performance index - all 7.2 or higher, with a 7.9 gaming graphics score for my lowly, untweaked 9600GT (!) - but with the 3.0 HDD score DeTale had...I tried your policy alteration, but to no avail.

Anyway, I'm back on Prophesy for the nonce.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #132
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

It worked, but I gave up on Win7 for now; too much fiddling around getting things to work.

Weenie.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #133
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Weenie.
    Admittedly.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Software & Hardware   -   #134
    Just for the record- what required "too much fiddling around" to deal with?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #135
    After a bit of tweaking...

Tee hee.

Have also run a bunch of "Experience Index" tests at various speeds.
    Apparently, a dual core will not breach the 7.1 barrier for CPU no matter what as it remains the same from 4.0 to 4.5GHz.
    With my limited understanding of BIOS settings on this P45 board, I've been unable to boot any higher than 4.5GHz (500 x 9) although I was able to achieve this at only 1.275v (which droops to 1.2375v when in Windows).

I'm sure that with some study I could do better although my motivation is weak since I saw the upcoming Intel price drops and have started lusting after a (relatively) cheap q9550- supposedly around $250-275 street price.
    Going to see about lining up a buyer for this excellent e8400 and find out where I can go...
    Last edited by clocker; 01-23-2009 at 04:35 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #136
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I know it worked for J2 without drivers also...your version may have been doctored or something.
    It may have been but I don't think it was. Im using J2 also and I had to install the drivers in windows after as well. I think something fishy is going on here as well. Getting weird reboots again when I OC.

The q9550 is only $282 now, is the $50 the deal breaker for you or do you just feel like moving on? With the bios settings I am mostly lost other than turning off EIST and the other thermal management options. I still have no clue what to disable or enable

7. Software & Hardware   -   #137
    You're a bad man, man.

As to Win7:

I didn't do myself any favors by starting the install at night, but after a "fits-and-starts" install (not too off-putting) I tried to load mobo drivers and it would hang; tried again, it hung again - then a re-boot showed the install seemed to be proceeding, but the screen image had stalled.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I restarted the whole shebang, this time the OS install went a bit better, but the mobo driver install hung again; this time I plowed ahead by cycling the drive tray, which gave me the screen back, apparently picking up the install at step 4 (I can't remember what it was; maybe the onboard HD audio?), and it finished, though somewhat haltingly.

I let it auto-update, then tried to install the COMODO internet suite; the install hung, so I backed out of that and installed Avira AV, which went over cleanly, and looked around for a firewall I liked but couldn't decide which to go with - at this point I did the perf-index while I was kicking things around - scores were pleasing, but I ran into the HDD thing, which I've already recounted.

Next came the straight-from-Nvidia Win7 drivers (should work great, right?); that hung, and then, trying to get moving again, the mouse and keyboard hard-locked.

I forced a shut-down and brought it back up only to have it continue to hang.

The next day I tried the whole thing again with the torrent version, but much the same hanging problems.

Fatigue set in, and I decided to retreat to Prophesy.

-Mark Twain

8. Software & Hardware   -   #138
    Given that we share almost identical hardware, I can only assume a PEBKAC issue.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #139
    Given that we share almost identical hardware, I can only assume a PEBKAC issue.
    Yes; while the hardware is similar, the rest is most assuredly not.

I am being punished for a certain ideological insufficiency, I think.

Barry has found me out.

-Mark Twain

10. Software & Hardware   -   #140
    Silicon for Obama!

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast