Thread: Bandwidth question

wannabepba
    Hello all, I have a technical question about bandwith...

I just moved, and the company that provides high speed internet to my community (HotWire) offers a choice 5MBps and 15MBps speeds. Obviously, I want to go with the 15MBps speed, but the installer said that the connection is shared by the community and could slow down during peak hours. I plan on getting a wireless router to distribute the signal to all my wireless devices. I know from past experiences with downloading torrents, when the downloader is active, it basically saps up all bandwith in my network (the rest of my internet browsing/downloading slows to a crawl). With the community in a shared setting, is my torrent-ing going to affect the rest of the community, or will it just impact whatever is on my side of the router? I don't want to get reported for hogging bandwith... I'm not necessarily bound to this company, but the 5Mbps is included with the HOA fee and the upgrade is only 19.99. I can always go back with AT&T, but would rather save the money with this company.

Thanks!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    NiKRuLeZ's Avatar µTorrent BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    This soundsl like shared bandwidth with your actual community. If its a cable connection then it will most probably be affecting your community!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Read the EULA. Unless they talk about bandwidth hogging, dont worry about it. I"m on cable, and never had a complaint against me.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    Read the EULA. Unless they talk about bandwidth hogging, dont worry about it. I"m on cable, and never had a complaint against me.
    Definitely. That's a pretty high speed so I'm not positive on if it's shared with everyone else in the community or not. I've seen it fly both ways. Best bet would probably be to call them and ask.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    flashback3r's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    wow, is that 15MBps with a capital letter B? In that case cool. that's awesome ^^
    RIP Swebits <3

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    why not simply ask the company?

btw eula is not the right phrase. i forgot what's it called.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    thrillerboy's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    there are more chances to affect the speeds of other shared users, theoretically..... its better to check with the company......

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Ok, then how about TOS (terms of service)
    I'm sure that applies -_-