Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is super seeding acceptable

thrillerboy's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I've just came across the term super-seeding. What is that by the way?

If what I heard is correct, its seeding to extreme buffer, Is it acceptable?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    In my opinion is not a good thing. What you get with that are amazing and useless buffers... and to make very difficult to others with bad connections to upload and even to get 1:1 ratio.
    Some sites are strongly against that practice, good for them.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Super seeding in clients means you never send the same piece twice, great for an initial seeder, but if there are other seeders on it then turn it off, as it can do more harm than good.

and the way you are describing it, it depends on the tracker, some frown upon it, as its harder for others to get a 1 ratio if some are getting 10-200 ratios on some torrents, others do not care, because they have other things in place to combat it (freeleech, SP, etc etc etc)

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    ajsi's Avatar think twice... BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    i don't think that overseeding(if i take it as downloading file and then seeding it for a very long time) is bad or not acceptable. why would it? it makes that downloaded file more accessible for longer time. that's a good thing, why would this behaviour be bad for others? if everybody would disconnect after getting ratio 1. on some torrent, speeds would not be good. and at the end, the torrent may die. you don't seed because of buffer, but because of sharing. that's the way it is supposed to be, isn't it? torrents mean sharing, that's what we do. not some overseeding... another thing is just buffering with seedboxes...

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    if you have a torrent you should seed it untill you can ( only delete it when you don't have space on your HDD )

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    slimdogp's Avatar Token White Kid BT Rep: +1
    Superseeding, or initial seeding, should only be used when you are the first uploader of the torrent, and not even always then!

It does a few things. It waits for a confirmation from the peer that it (the peer) has sent the data on to someone else before it sends that peer more data. Well imagine you are on a torrent with 20 seeds and then 1 leecher comes along. Your client is now waiting on confirmation from that peer that it has sent the data along to another person. But wait! There IS NO OTHER PERSON because they are the only leecher.

That is just one of the problems that can arise. Basically all you need to know is that superseeding has several design features to seed more efficiently. Getting out more distributed copies of the torrent faster and with less upload bandwidth used.

If you're looking to build a buffer or good ratio on a site regular seeding is much much better.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    The Wanderer's Avatar e pluribus unum
    nothing to see, move on
    Last edited by The Wanderer; 12-17-2008 at 05:54 PM.
    Live long and prosper.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    This is super seeding not over seeding

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    The Wanderer's Avatar e pluribus unum
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine01 View Post
    This is super seeding not over seeding
    Damn, next time I'll read more careful the topic.
    Live long and prosper.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    if you're upping a rls to a site than yes (if you have a slow upload rate)
    else: NOOOOOO!

edit: most sites auto ban super seeding because it falls under hit and run rules as well.
    Last edited by DanielleD87; 12-18-2008 at 01:45 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast