View Poll Results: Do you think FST should share IP's of Scammers/Cheaters/Sellers with tracker staff?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, get those scumbags

66 55.46%
  • No, privacy is most important

53 44.54%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think FST should share IP's of Scammers/Cheaters/Sellers?

Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Come on! I see this like somebody showing some kind of interest in doing something good.
    All those with good intentions, serious traders included, should support something like that.

After a clear an public criteria about who could be included in that list, I canīt see one only reason for not to try it. It would be a first step for approaching trackers and FST. People complain all the time saying that is a safe place for all that fauna and when something is tried we begin with philosophical crap. Who is against to find and eradicate that cancer?, I can only think in themselves.
    Although I canīt see clearly how would FST know who is cheater... but the fact is that here we have seen a lot of them unmasked, mostly due to others users and even staff.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post

how do you define scammer and what actions would justify an ip report to tracker staff?
    As I said I don't have a set list yet. This is just to get a feeling of what the members want.
    from my understanding a scammer is a trader that didn't meet the trading partner's demand.
    it's somehow an account or invite giveaway, with the difference that one of them is a little pissed because he got nothing in return.

now what are you going to report to the tracker?

"there was this one guy who wasn't like fair and scammed this other guy who broke your rules as well, but you're only getting one ip, cause the other guy broke your rules more honest."

???
    Last edited by Polarbear; 12-23-2008 at 01:55 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I don't agree in there being no middle ground. I am sure that both members here and tracker staff would appreciate if people who are especially bad aren't welcomed back here when banned from sites.

Also I do think that while tracker staff of course would prefer no trading, just making this small improvement would be a sign of good faith.

Kinda like the lesser of two evils.

now what are you going to report to the tracker?

"there was this one guy who wasn't like fair and scammed this other guy who broke your rules as well, but you're only getting one ip, cause the other guy broke your rules more honest."

???
    Now don't be ridiculous. You know full well that's not how it works.

In that case the only thing needed is the IP of the scammer as sites keep logs. And that IP would just be for proof that this actually took place. Of course the scammed person gets in trouble as well, but that's just an added bonus.
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 12-23-2008 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    in theory, it would be very useful if FST would share ip of scammers/cheaters/sellers with tracker staff but in practice, it would probably result in many abuses...
    FST staff would have one more power and could make a deliberate "mistake" to make someone banned from all his trackers... who knows ? Don't get me wrong, i don't accuse staff, i just think that everything is possible since it's not their job nor their cause. they're not enough close to trackers staff and too much in contrast with them for being 100% trusted. I doubt that tracker staff would check proofs for every cheaters/scammers/sellers reported so it's definitely a matter of trust.

oh and why fst would give scammers ips to tracker staff while they allow them to restart their dishonnest acts with a new account ?
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Skies View Post
    In that case the only thing needed is the IP of the scammer as sites keep logs. And that IP would just be for proof that this actually took place. Of course the scammed person gets in trouble as well, but that's just an added bonus.
    bingo. and that's exactly the point. reporting a scammer would always mean that the person who got scammed (and traded in the first place) will be known and probably banned as well.

that's why i doubt that this will happen and asked the question what scammers are when included in the poll.

did you realise that you automatically have two persons banned (one trader and one scammer) when you report them, detale? i think that would contradict your policy of protecting "innocent" traders that you mentioned recently, wouldn't it?

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    The reason I say that there is no middle ground is that we all know if you trade you should accept that is dangerous and if you get scammed here there are remedies to report the offending party. This is no business of the trackers at all, unless, like I said you are going to report everything to the trackers.

Even though I have traded before, that I am sure is known, the prevailing sentiment around here is that traders and trading are evil... go ahead and shut it down. if breaking the rules here merits reports to trackers then all rule breaking merits reports. Report all the traders, the givers away, and everyone who post trackers names in public. Im just all for treating ALL the rule breakers equally.
    Last edited by puckface; 12-23-2008 at 02:14 AM.
    Go Leafs Go.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    Totally agree with Stoi and Barbarossa on the first page, its up to trackers to enforce their own rules, this is just forum so only moderating of forum posts should be done by staff here.

Also if this was a practise of fst to share peoples ip addresses, even though u may say its only for Scammers/Cheaters/Sellers, how could people trust the site anymore. For all people know since u are in the practise of sharing IP's why stop at Scammers/Cheaters/Sellers, u may have deals with certain tracks that u will report people who say bad things about their trackers or give negative reviews about them etc.

Dont no if i explained my point that clearly, but in the end it would save a lot of headache by answering no to the question.
    Last edited by Villalltheway; 12-23-2008 at 02:41 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Yes share the IP'S of Scammers/Cheaters & Sellers only.

The person has to prove they are Site owner and pay at least $50.00

Understand that we are a non-profit organization completely supported by you, the members and that you are donating to help keep the site maintained and running. Every little bit counts. we have to pay our bills every month to keep things going we ask that you make a monetary contribution in whatever denomination you'd like.
    Last edited by Alien5; 12-23-2008 at 03:19 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    I voted no as it is none of your business.

Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    hmm Ok.

Scammers = the other persons fault for trading, learn the hard way.

Sellers = you cant sell on here, so how do you know them

Cheaters = how do you know they cheat, surely thats the tracker, and if the tracker wants a global ban, they contact other trackers, not through here though.

I just dont know how this will help the "War" between FST and the trackers.

I am not very comfortable or have got the time for that matter, that if we get a cheat, to pass the details to the staff off here, i may pass it onto other trackers, because they should probably know, but why does FST have to know?

Sorry, dont see the point, unless i am missing something.

Trading is against the rules of most trackers, FST allows trading, unless you do something abotu that, which you wont in a million years, the animosity is still going to be there, doesnt matter what you dress up a perk like.
    well said like always.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

this board makes money. money is made with advertisment and advertisment needs members who click and see it. the more members, the more money, very simple.
    You brought it up so I felt the need to reply. This forum does not turn a profit. Never has.

yo

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast