Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File Sharers Pay 12-year-old's Music Piracy Fine

imported_stg1123

File sharers pay 12-year-old's music piracy fine
    A trade group representing six of the biggest file sharing web sites have pledged to pay a $US2,000 fine on behalf of a 12-year-old girl, who illegally downloaded music from the Internet.

Brianna Lahara of New York, or more precisely her mother, was fined as a settlement to a lawsuit by the music industry for illegally copying and offering pirated music on the Internet.

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) says the case is the first of 261 lawsuits filed in an effort to clamp down on illegal music-swapping on the Internet.

"We understand now that file-sharing the music was illegal," the girl's mother, Sylvia Torres, said in a statement issued by the RIAA.

"You can be sure Brianna won't be doing it any more."

For her part, Brianna said: "I am sorry for what I have done, I love music and don't want to hurt the artists I love."

But "P2P United" has stepped in, offering to pay Brianna's fine.

"We don't condone copyright infringement but it's time for the RIAA's winged monkeys to fly back to the castle and leave the Munchkins alone," the group's executive director, Adam Eisgrau, said.

He says "they're using 150,000 dollar-per-song lawsuits and a squad of high-paid lawyers to strong-arm $2,000 from single mothers in public housing".

Mr Eisgrau says others charged include a 71-year-old grandfather and a Columbia University senior, whose father recently died of cancer.

His group, formed in July to protect the rights of people who file share and the industry, represents Streamcast Networks, Grokster, LimeWire, BearShare, Blubster and EDonkey.

The RIAA says the lawsuits, filed on Monday local time, are the first in what could be thousands of suits in a bid to stem rampant online piracy of copyrighted songs.

But the tactic has been criticised by some as a heavy-handed invasion of privacy that could alienate music fans.

It had charged that the computer used by the girl offered more than 1,000 copyrighted song tracks via the KaZaa file-sharing service.

"We're trying to send a strong message that you are not anonymous when you participate in peer-to-peer file sharing and that the illegal distribution of copyrighted music has consequences, "RIAA chairman and chief executive Mitch Bainwol said.

"As this case illustrates, parents need to be aware of what their children are doing on their computers."

-- AFP

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    so who cna pay my 5 bilion fine? if I got f*ck up the ass which will never happen living in Australia

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by stg1123@11 September 2003 - 02:25

it's time for the RIAA's winged monkeys to fly back to the castle and leave the Munchkins alone," the group's executive director, Adam Eisgrau, said.
    Quote of the week

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by stg1123@10 September 2003 - 22:25
    But "P2P United" has stepped in, offering to pay Brianna's fine.

He says "they're using 150,000 dollar-per-song lawsuits and a squad of high-paid lawyers to strong-arm $2,000 from single mothers in public housing".
    Actually, I like this one better. Go P2P United! Anyone got a weblink for these guys? Don't make me open up Google.
    Proud member of MDS

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Actually, I like this one better. Go P2P United! Anyone got a weblink for these guys? Don't make me open up Google.

I love jibblers lines

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    where the hell do they get the money?
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    In response to the scrutiny, peer-to-peer companies are starting to take a more active role in the political process. Representatives of peer-to-peer companies Grokster and Sharman Networks, which is the distributor of Kazaa, are starting separate lobbying groups to represent the interests of file-swapping companies.

Adam Eisgrau, the new executive director of P2P United, the Grokster-backed trade group, said crackdowns on peer to peer are "not a good use of public policy."
    I don&#39;t know if they get their money from the makers of kazaa and grokster

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    probaly the government

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    What are they doing with all this settlement money??

What good is this lawsuit?
    Personally, I will never support the music industry after this invasion of a person&#39;s privacy on their part. It really shows what maters to them. &#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    its the music industry fault why ppl download music in the firt place if it wasn&#39;t so damm expensive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast