Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you got busted for torrenting couldn't you just say you cheated?

Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I just kinda thought of this after an hour or so of insomnia. If you were caught by some copyright authority/group/douchebags for the illegal distribution of movie "XYZ" in private tracker X, simply by them logging your IP while you were in movie "XYZ" swarm. Couldn't you just say that you were a ratio cheat just trying to increase the buffer of your account so you could trade it for better accounts that you could inevitable sell on ebay and that you never technically uploaded/downloaded anything ? In court you could say

*In a southern accent* "Yo` ona, I may be a cheating, trading, selling scumbag with a huge e-penis on the internetz, but I am certainly no pirate."

Of course, I'm probably overgeneralizing here, but do you think it'd work in some cases? If it worked the worst that could happen would be if the tech guy they had bust you, reported you to the tracker for "cheating". I'd take getting banned at a tracker over getting sued anyday.
    See ya in another life, brother.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Blackbeard's Avatar <3 rock BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    They would know by your isp logs.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    As far as i could see, the ratio fixing programs actually send out bits of data. Therefore to the feds it would seem that you are helping upload and are therefore spreading pirated material.

Unless you download TBs a month and/or use some sort of scene or p2l axx then you'll be safe.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    ajsi's Avatar think twice... BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    it is a nice idea lol, but before they will knock at your doors, they will make themselves sure that you really upload movies/something with copyrights, not just cheat. they are not so stupid, don't worry

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Torrenting&gt;Sex BT Rep: +2
    i really lold...creative

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    benficao's Avatar All over you Face!
    thank god, i have wireless and i dont know, its possible to put a password, in it, and it was someone stealing my broadband who stole thoese files never me!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    sheriff 01's Avatar Safety First! BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Sanka113 i think you could come up with a better excuse than that to get out of a jam.
    C'mon bro, think hard this time and try to come up with a better excuse and then report your findings back to me. If you fail to come up with a good one i will post here an excuse that will work everytime!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Easiest excuse: I had a virus
    All you need is probable doubt.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    In all seriousness, there's too many variables involved to bust or even threaten you if an agency or group wanted to try to pin something on you, just having your IP in the swarm. Now, even if they actually involved your IP provider they still wouldn't be able to pinpoint that your downloading (uploading is a different case) your data from p2p and not some other kind of data through ftp or whatnot. The only way they could tell you were truly seeding the illegally shared file in the swarm is to be in the swarm themselves which would incriminate them to. Once again, I'm generalizing here, if any tech or law experts want to chime in your more than welcome to.
    See ya in another life, brother.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    horiZen's Avatar >>SSL ENCRYPTED<<
    using prog's like "your-freedom"(paying service) should circumvent any sort of ip log/packet sniffing
    it's more $ layout but if security is an issue its very efficient, i'm sure there are other alternatives but i can vouch for their service as i use it and have had no problems

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast