Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future of torrenting is looking grim

Col. Skillz's Avatar Bacco,Tabacco,Venere
    I was wondering if anyone else is starting to feel this way. It seems little by little more trackers are getting taken down or harassed by law enforcement agencies, even the private ones.

I figure it's inevitable that piracy laws are going to get stricter and stricter, but how long do you think we have? I'm sure once torrenting is done people will find something else, I wonder if pirating (at least ez mode pirating with little risk of getting caught) will ever disappear (I hope not).

I've got no knowledge in that area so really don't know, but do you guys think the death of torrenting is on the horizon? or do we still have awhile to go? I've been really considering getting a few huge hard drives and keeping everything I download, 1 for games, 1 for movies, etc, because little by little my downloading options are weening away, assuming the recent pattern keeps up.

Thanks to anyone who reads this, maybe you're feeling the same I am (death or ScT and mininova in the same month wtf?), or maybe you know something I don't that's keeping you confident
    Last edited by Col. Skillz; 12-16-2009 at 09:29 AM.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Totti's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    it still has a while to go.... and if it does go you will always good old mirc to return too

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    karachidude's Avatar Excelsior BT Rep: +5
    if torrenting goes,something else will come up,to cheer us

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    BT does indeed feel shaky atm but lets just wait for 2012 and see what happens.
    Warez however will never go away.There is usenet and of course the countless 1 click hosts.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    As long as there is the scene , the bt protocol will continue.
    And so will all the others, some way older than BT, like ed2k, gnutella, DC+, newsgroups.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Skillz View Post
    I've got no knowledge in that area so really don't know, but do you guys think the death of torrenting is on the horizon?
    Not really. Surely some important sites shutting down is a bit scary, but there are great ones (TL, SCC, TV, etc.) that are still alive, and even kind of benefited by allowing "refugee" users to register.

BitTorrent will still be around, just like the older protocols that Cabalo mentioned. Even if they shut down all trackers in the world, there's DHT and PEX. It wouldn't be the same, though.

And regarding the Scene... assuming all ties with them were cut (which won't happen any time soon), there are still P2P release groups and very talented "freelance" crackers out there.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Cut-Copy-Paste's Avatar FST Satan BT Rep: +3
    or maybe you know something I don't that's keeping you confident
    Shutting down of a single tracker leading to birth of dozens of tracker.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I don't see the end coming any time soon. It will never be tolerated or accepted in the US or most other countries. Other than the Swedish sites this year and the continual problems with large public trackers, only SCT was allegedly affected by legal problems. SCT was born out of a site that suffered legal problems 4 years ago. I don't see any reason to start panicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Copy-Paste View Post
    or maybe you know something I don't that's keeping you confident
    Shutting down of a single tracker leading to birth of dozens of tracker.
    That doesn't seem to have been the case with the Swedish sites or SCT.

The hydra effect is exaggerated.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollinThunder View Post
    That doesn't seem to have been the case with the Swedish sites
    At least SweDVDR, SweBits, TTi, PirateTorrents and SwePiracy returned after the crackdown...
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    i think it will stop sooner or later as internet grows and gets faster they will have to do something..they have too as much as i would like for it to go on forever. Sooner or later you will be able to HD movies games in seconds and when that happens the scence will have to die and they will do everything in there power by monitoring peoples download habits automatically and sending out warnings and simply automatically cutting you off if you don't comply with a possible fine.

It is scary especailly as i live in the UK and it is looking grim here.
    Last edited by theguru; 12-17-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast