Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Down with Microshit

Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    if you exclude dual and quad core, yes. If you include them, as they are becoming standard, then 3ghz is a massive pile of wank.

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

2. Lounge   -   #52
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Aerial Ruminant, have you tried Windows 7?
    It addresses many of the objections you seem to have.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Lounge   -   #53
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Cow View Post
    Or, Linux is used by people who want to make a stand - nay, who do take a stand - against blatant monopoly, which is what we see in the OS market.

I'm sorry but I don't like the fact that netbooks are forced to have 1.60GHz, 1GB RAM and 80GB (now 160G) HDDs because these are the 'restrictions' that Microcrap gives for companies who still want to use it's XP. I don't like the fact that they can put the price on the license for their OS as they see fit (what competition is there?) in other words, XP and Vista licenses costing the same.
    Ad infinitum.

And frankly, gaming aside, I'm actually going to consider installing Ubuntu on my future netbook. The only reason I can think of for using Windows XP would be to have Office 2007 with the newest perks on PowerPoint for oral presentations. Other than that, Ubuntu, for a work-only machine, is, in my sincere opinion, far superior to XP, and most importantly to Vista.
    (NB: I'm speaking of a NON-GAMING machine).

Awaits wave of criticisms.
    Monopoly, maybe but the guy started out in a garage and made his way. He is the American dream. I say he deserves half what he has as no one deserves to have that much.

All I hear are excuses man. gaming machine aside XP was good and Vista is a bomb we all know it, but W7 is looking awesome. Those restrictions are bringing you a better more powerful machine. and forcing standards in HW to improve. Now the HW standards far exceed the software that runs on them. IMO this is what you want so your not stuck with an obsolete machine as fast.

@ Cabalo I wasn't jokin man I used to see it alot.

4. Lounge   -   #54
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Aerial Ruminant, have you tried Windows 7?
    It addresses many of the objections you seem to have.
    I'll give it a whirl when I have the chance.

5. Lounge   -   #55
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I did read that the sales of Vista are crashing as people wait for W7. I think Vista will be the latest ME of the MS OS.

I have sort of got used to Vista now but I think it is poorly laid out and bloated - some things take an age to load. It is at the pomp rock of Spinal Tap stage. Let's hope W7 is a little leaner and meaner.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. Lounge   -   #56
    man if someones paranoid about security , how could "they" even trust the sudo apt get ubuntu repositories ? and other versions of disotros like slackware wont work if everybody in your family is gona use the only pc available .. family learning curve > fail

7. Lounge   -   #57
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Spoiler: Show

8. Lounge   -   #58
    TheKebab's Avatar Member
    Bleh, I want to build a computer and use it, not put down all my time on messing with the OS

9. Lounge   -   #59
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by anoneemuse View Post
    man if someones paranoid about security , how could "they" even trust the sudo apt get ubuntu repositories ? and other versions of disotros like slackware wont work if everybody in your family is gona use the only pc available .. family learning curve > fail
    I couldn't agree, even if I understood it.

True story
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456