Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why so many junk postings on usenet?

I'm mostly a super search user and have been finding a lot of junk items on usenet. Sometimes there are posts with no nfo and no description if the movie is pal or ntsc.

I discovered the xbox 360 can somehow play pal discs which is nice but would still rather have in ntsc.

Another thing that I have no idea is why people waste their time posting a crappy cam copy converted for dvd when the real movie is already out.
    I've seen maybe 2 movies done with cams and it completely spoils everything. If they do somehow get a descent picture the sound is still horrible. Why go through all the trouble?

I also think they could be doing hd movies a lot better. Everything is posted in mkv. How many people watch movies on their computer? I would rather have a standard video than watch on my computer. Sometimes I use mkv2vob or tsmuxer to watch on my ps3 but they don't always come out right or have hardcoded subtitles.

I'm actually tempted to shut off my usenet and just do a online rental service but don't really want to give up a $11 astraweb account.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    I'm pretty new to usenet, & I was looking for a program on there yesterday & every one i DL'ed had a trojan in it, so i finally gave up & found it in a torrent, lol. Guess it's because i'm a usenet noob, but so far i'm not real impressed.
    Last edited by teflon05; 01-04-2009 at 04:14 PM.
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    It's all about the way you search. As you become more experienced with Usenet you'll figure out how spot fake and dodgy posts, which there are quite a lot of.

By the way, a very similar thread was started earlier: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-new...ruses-327798/?
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 01-04-2009 at 05:01 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jedispork View Post
    I'm mostly a super search user and have been finding a lot of junk items on usenet. Sometimes there are posts with no nfo and no description if the movie is pal or ntsc.

I discovered the xbox 360 can somehow play pal discs which is nice but would still rather have in ntsc.

Another thing that I have no idea is why people waste their time posting a crappy cam copy converted for dvd when the real movie is already out.
    I've seen maybe 2 movies done with cams and it completely spoils everything. If they do somehow get a descent picture the sound is still horrible. Why go through all the trouble?

I also think they could be doing hd movies a lot better. Everything is posted in mkv. How many people watch movies on their computer? I would rather have a standard video than watch on my computer. Sometimes I use mkv2vob or tsmuxer to watch on my ps3 but they don't always come out right or have hardcoded subtitles.

I'm actually tempted to shut off my usenet and just do a online rental service but don't really want to give up a $11 astraweb account.
    I almost cut our comment up into tidbits to... comment on, but virtually everything you bring up is absolutely true. The 'torrents are better' comments will be coming (already have?) but the fact is, that good nfo's are far more widespread on usenet than on any torrent.

You usually can d/l the first part of a rar posting, and figure out most if not all the specs; but this is why sites such as Newzbin are in so much use, as they try to do a couple of things, first the PAL/NTSC (and all the different wacky HD formats), then track down the nfo (if it exists), and get, especially in this age of double and triple and quadruple dipping of DVD titles, the proper 'real' identification of the post. That last is a lot of the time a bit of a stretch, though. You need to bring out your Sherlock Holmes kit to get an idea of what exactly you're dealing with sometimes, though.

I rarely d/l anything without an nfo (and a posted nzb for that matter), although if the size leads one to believe it's not a sloppy recode job (i.e., a dvd9), and maybe it's listed on newzbin, then I'll bite.

I totally agree about the comment on 'watching a video on a computer', even if one has a way (ps3/xbox or otherwise) to output to a decent screen. But it's one of the things I run into on other forum boards, the folks I come into contact with in my daily dealings in consumer audio/video, mostly wouldn't have a computer of ANY type connected to their systems (or even anywhre in their home), no matter how much 'potential' there is. Some folks think it's great to do so, but they are a VERY small minority.

But as far as the HD stuff is concerned, I look back on the path that SD/DVD took in the very early days (circa 1998-2002), and although the decrypting methodology is tracking much better, the duplication 'systems' have quite a bit of a way to go, from both the hardware side (burners, blanks), and the software (stream processing, etc.), side. It is enough to 'dable' in, but it's going to be another 2-3 years before it becomes mainstream.
    Last edited by Beck38; 01-04-2009 at 05:22 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    You can always try to check out something like pre.scnsrc.net and search in there to see if there has been a scene release of what you're looking for. Or keep an eye out on rlslog.net or a site like it for people posting new releases, then just do a search on the filename they post.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I might have to see about getting a newzbin invite. I should start using this site for the nzb's also.

I almost always put ntsc when I look for something. If nothing comes up then I search for the item without that in the title and check every nfo. It seems if ntsc is not in the title its usually pal. I always try to get the orignal posts instead of a repost due to some of them being repacked with passwords.

Another thing thats kind of weird is that people will posts 2 different divx files for 2 cd's. How many people are still using cd's?

AnyDvd can decrypt pretty much anything including hd. I purchased the unlimited update licsense for this program. I started messing with dvd backups when dvd shrink came out. IMO dual layer media is still over priced and single layerr is still the way to go.

There are some fairly complicated methods for backing up blu discs to regular dvd. They come out looking nearly as good as the original disc. With a dual core it still takes around 10 hours. The disadvantages are that they can be movie only and you loose the hd audio track. I'm surprised these arent more common on usenet. They are called bd-(5,9) or avchd. The few that are on there usually have dutch subtitles hard coded on them. I'm going to wait for a program thats more refined before I mess with it.

I've always wondered how most of you watch mkv files. I know of a few other options like building a htpc or using something like a sage media extender but thats even more trouble.
    Last edited by Sporkk; 01-04-2009 at 06:49 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    I've always wondered how most of you watch mkv files. I know of a few other options like building a htpc or using something like a sage media extender but thats even more trouble.
    Laptop -> VGA output to LCD HDTV and sound goes to 5.1 system via usb soundcard

I have now retired that laptop so its now just a media pc and bought a new one as my main computer now.

Having a separate computer is so much easier.. all downloading can be done on that one too, permanently linked to external usb hdd. Well worth it IMO.
    Last edited by EyeBaller; 01-04-2009 at 07:56 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    xuxoxux's Avatar Reader BT Rep: +4

Don't give up your account.
    Check out ConvertXtoDVD:
    http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

It is the best IMO when it comes to taking movies and making them ready for burning.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Best to use indexing site and read comments from others.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    So is newzbin the best then?

I also use convertx to dvd. Great program. Sometimes I don't even use discs. I just use a flash drive and play the divx/xvid or vobs directly on my ps3.

It would certainly be silly of me to leave usenet. I think I would miss it to much even thought at times its a hassle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast