Thread: FTP Server behind Linksys Router

I've installed FileZilla's FTP Server on my computer, but I can't access it from outside my LAN. I think I need to open ports. What configurations need to take place?

Also, I want to make a encrypted, remote desktop connection with this computer from outside the LAN. What is the best software to use?
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-06-2009 at 02:59 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    you need to enter your external ip in filezilla settings and open some ports. take a look at question 3 of filezilla server faq here.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    seh's Avatar ______________ BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    for remote desktop i use tightVNC, you might wanna try that

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Hi!

As I have said in a previous post, I struggled with Filezilla. It was inconsistent in transferring files accurately and I kept losing my connection.

I tried Core FTP and it worked perfectly for my needs.

Now, it appears that Filezilla works very well for most people - perhaps my settings in Filezilla were mucked up!

I guess my point is, perhaps you should try another FTP client.

Cheers!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    bentomans's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    for remote desktop , you have to forward port or use the program that it's called LogMeIn

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    if you have a dynamic ip you could look at www.no-ip.com that may help
    Also id flash the linksys(if its compatible) with the dd-wrt firmware, it gives a lot more options for port forwarding, etc : http://lifehacker.com/software/route...ter-178132.php

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by yevgeny View Post
    you need to enter your external ip in filezilla settings and open some ports. take a look at question 3 of filezilla server faq here.
    I think I might have not port-forward the passive ports. Also, if I use no-ip.com, I can enter the domain name instead of the IP, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by seh View Post
    for remote desktop i use tightVNC, you might wanna try that
    Does this allow complete administrator access? I'm going to "get" the enterprise edition, by the way. I might be able to use this instead of FTP to transfer files, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ph03n1ks View Post
    if you have a dynamic ip you could look at www.no-ip.com that may help
    Also id flash the linksys(if its compatible) with the dd-wrt firmware, it gives a lot more options for port forwarding, etc : http://lifehacker.com/software/route...ter-178132.php
    Yes, I do. Nice find.

I'll have to postpone my adventures, since I'm not "home" right now, but thanks all.
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-09-2009 at 01:27 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Mutantx's Avatar Dominator BT Rep: +1
    You might want to look into getting a VPN which allows you to connect to your ftp without opening the ports that most people do. This usually requires software that you'll have to have on both the server and client side.

As mentioned above, Logmein Hamachi isn't too bad.

-Mutantx