Thread: Giganews expands into Hong Kong

http://www.giganews.com/news/article...into-asia.html

Austin, TX - Giganews, Inc., the world's foremost premium Usenet access provider, has established a news server cluster in Hong Kong, providing faster and more reliable access to members throughout the Asia Pacific region, including Australia, Hong Kong, China, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, and many other nations. This expansion marks the first infrastructure deployment by Giganews into the Asia Pacific region.

Giganews is also seeking regional Internet service providers to establish peering with their Hong Kong cluster. Peering with Giganews' Hong Kong cluster is available at the Hong Kong Internet Exchange (HKIX™) or through a direct connection at Equinix Hong Kong.

"Similar to our recent network expansions into the UK at LINX and Germany at DE-CIX, the primary motivation for launching a server cluster in Hong Kong is to provide download speeds and overall service levels that match our reputation for excellence for our Asian Pacific members. This new cluster also allows regional Asia Pacific ISPs the option to peer with Giganews. Peering directly with ISPs will help encourage the growth of Usenet by reducing bandwidth costs and improving performance," said Philip Molter, CTO at Giganews.

Giganews' Hong Kong server cluster will begin operation on January 6, 2009. Asia Pacific Giganews members will have their traffic automatically directed to the new Hong Kong cluster when they connect to news.giganews.com. No newsreader modification or reconfiguration is necessary.

Giganews is excited about the prospect of providing better service for Asian Pacific members through its brand new server cluster in Hong Kong. Giganews members in Asia Pacific regions who are interested in sharing the great new speeds and service levels available through Giganews' Hong Kong infrastructure are encouraged to refer friends and family using their referral web address. Every referral who signs up for Giganews' service through this web address and maintains their account for 60 days will earn members up to $20 in credit on their account.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    and some people still complain about the trackers profiting from piracy...
    take a look at this ones.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Does anyone have any idea what the server address (ip or .com) is for this new site? As a lark, tried the obvious (going by the long established news-europe.giganews.com template), news-asia.giganews.com and news-pacific.giganews.com, but no go.

At any rate, would think it interesting from a technical standpoint to tracert to the new site, get a kick out of it.

BTW, as a former resident of Austin, TX (UT grad, class of 1979, left the city in 1984 after some 'side trips' to grad school and interesting Middle East sojourns due to my US Government affiliations), I've always wondered who it was that started this outfit (Giganews, 1998).

Probably worst decision in my life: Came to the (wrong!) conclusion that Michael Dell would be 'squashed' by the legal (IBM and others) and technical problems with his startup 'Dell Computers'. If I had come to a different conclusion, I'd now be hobnobbing with fellow zillionaries Paul Allen and crowd.
    Last edited by Beck38; 01-10-2009 at 12:45 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Does anyone have any idea what the server address (ip or .com) is for this new site? As a lark, tried the obvious (going by the long established news-europe.giganews.com template), news-asia.giganews.com and news-pacific.giganews.com, but no go.
    Using an online traceroute script hosted on a Hong Kong server I was able to trace news.giganews.com and get the IP (203.170.29.131).
    Looks like it doesn't yet have its own hostname, just resolves to news.giganews.com
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 01-10-2009 at 03:01 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    [QUOTE=UsenetGuy;3095472]
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Using an online traceroute script hosted on a Hong Kong server I was able to trace news.giganews.com and get the IP (203.170.29.131).
    Looks like it doesn't yet have its own hostname, just resolves to news.giganews.com
    Thanks for going the 'extra' step there, I was (as usual) about half asleep earlier, and it appears that (at least from my location on the Verizon backbone) that it routes through PCCW; The hop count and delay is VERY low (I'm on the west coast). Since their hub is in San Jose, I'm wondering which trans-pacific cable they are on, but that's the engineer in me coming out.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    xiao118
    I managed to get an account through a local website - I think the website is somethig like www.magnetreview.com.hk....

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    giganews.hk pings as 216.196.100.135
    giganews.hk.com times out at 152.104.8.13
    Last edited by Wwwildthing; 07-03-2009 at 09:50 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by Wwwildthing View Post
    giganews.hk pings as 216.196.100.135
    giganews.hk.com times out at 152.104.8.13
    That's known as a subdomain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdomain

Similarly - Any_Song.mp3 and Any_Song.mp3.exe are NOT the same thing ... so I hope you don't get them confused also

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    I hope you don't get them confused also
    I'm not confused, but you might be.