Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Beta

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I'm sure that anyone really interested in the public release of Microsoft's newest beta OS is already aware of the fiasco it turned into.

Having once blown the release of a public beta (remember Longhorn?), I'd have thought that MS would be ready for this one but alas, it was not to be.

Even semi-savvy users such as myself realized that the .iso images were not going to be the issue (that what torrents are for), the Holy Grail was going to be the activation keys, which MS limited to 2.5 million.

Easy and widespread availability of auto-refresh apps (like Firefox's C4C) guaranteed that the MS servers would get hammered hard- which indeed happened- and MS was obviously unprepared.

Even worse is the total lack of info available since the servers went down.
    No one knows the status of the delivery program, MS has had the same bland disclaimer up on the site since early yesterday afternoon so naturally, rumors abound (all unfounded to this point) and Microsoft looks increasingly inept as time after their deadline passes.

Did anyone successfully grab a key?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    no, i didn't get any key, nor could i download it from the site. i'm very disappointed, as i was eager to get hold of a copy

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Clocker, I've been using the copy I downloaded from usenet for a couple of days now with NO key.
    What are my limits?

I didn't know beta versions had the activation crap I thought they just lasted a couple hunded days then died altogether

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Clocker, I've been using the copy I downloaded from usenet for a couple of days now with NO key.
    What are my limits?
    30 days, just like any MS OS.
    There is a "rearm" patch available that will reset the 30 day "trial period" but I don't know how many times it can be applied.

I didn't know beta versions had the activation crap I thought they just lasted a couple hunded days then died altogether
    With the key you're good till August 1 (I believe) and needn't bother with patches.
    Of course, we all know that various workarounds will become available- probably within days- so this is not a do-or-die situation.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    30 days, just like any MS OS.
    There is a "rearm" patch available that will reset the 30 day "trial period" but I don't know how many times it can be applied.

With the key you're good till August 1 (I believe) and needn't bother with patches.
    Of course, we all know that various workarounds will become available- probably within days- so this is not a do-or-die situation.
    it can be rearmed 5 times.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Ah, that's good to know...thanks.

Just managed to snag one key...it's supposedly for the 64 bit OS but rumor has it that it'll work on either.
    Trying for a second now.

Edit:
    Just got a 32 bit key in about 2 minutes.
    Hmmm.
    Last edited by clocker; 01-10-2009 at 05:30 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I got a valid key from keznews.com. Check it out.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I got them both from MS and just activated one PC (32 bit OS) successfully.

Going to wait a while on my machine till I've got it set up the way I want.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'v not tried yet Clocker , but a key would be the least of my worries .

Saw this and had to shake my head :

Release candidate

Microsoft plans to move on to the release candidate stage for Windows 7 immediately after Beta.

Final build

Microsoft plans to release the final build of Windows 7 between July 1, 2009 and June 30, 2010.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    I'v not tried yet Clocker , but a key would be the least of my worries .

Saw this and had to shake my head :

Release candidate

Microsoft plans to move on to the release candidate stage for Windows 7 immediately after Beta.

Final build

Microsoft plans to release the final build of Windows 7 between July 1, 2009 and June 30, 2010.
    ok, that's enough for me. we are still far from final release, and i can bet it will occur somewhere a couple of months before christmas.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast