Thread: File sharing

why is it considered or viewed as wrong/illegal?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    because all programs/movies/games have copyrights ...and trackers break those rules that results in illegal stuff

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    +$200,000 if the copyright holder can prove you did it. Per work. That means if you get caught uploading 5 movies, you could be fined $1,000,000. That is more than most people make in 20 years.
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-10-2009 at 09:03 PM.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    On one hand you have ISP 's advertising great speeds and no D/L limit to the masses for an extra $29.99 . So who's the crook ?

In Canada you pay a tax for blank media and players be they ipods, dvd -rw 's or mp3 players . Kinda like a recycle tax to give to artist's for royalties . Again I ask who's the crooks ?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    On one hand you have ISP 's advertising great speeds and no D/L limit to the masses for an extra $29.99 . So who's the crook ?

In Canada you pay a tax for blank media and players be they ipods, dvd -rw 's or mp3 players . Kinda like a recycle tax to give to artist's for royalties . Again I ask who's the crooks ?
    The people who commit the crime.

ISP's advertise great speeds for profit. No one likes a slow computer, and no one likes limitations. You can't blame them for facilitating piracy because they don't explicit prevent it.

Canada uses taxation as a means to dissuade people from pirating. I don't think artist's receive any compensation by the Canadian government.

Sorry for being a stickler; I'd really like to feel morally justified while pirating. I'd also like to feel completely safe. Sadly I can feel neither of these things.
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-10-2009 at 09:41 PM.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    noAxx's Avatar Anti-Trader
    Still you. Believe it or not, you can download content that is legal on the internet. It may not be as choice, but it exists. Also remember that various things such as online gaming aren't about filesharing but still require high speeds.

In this particular case, the Canadian government, since by assuming the material will be used nefariously and then taxing it accordingly, the invite people who otherwise wouldn't to engage in piracy, since the tax applies equally to them.

More generally speaking, copyright laws vary by country, so my concern is not so much with the letter of the law per say. I, like most other sane pirates, will admit that I am engaging in something 100% morally wrong when the material I grab is legally commercially available. I simply don't give a damn that it happens to be wrong.
    Last edited by noAxx; 01-10-2009 at 09:50 PM.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    BANNED BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    because it is illegal ... it should be legal just if everyone has legal copy and share with others...