Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maintaining anonymity on private trackers??

Time-Traveller's Avatar Poster
    The only way to have a completely secure box is by not connecting it to any networks especially the internet, anything that can be encrypted can be decrypted, anything that can be hidden can be revealed if the programmer is knowledgeable, determined enough and has plenty time on their hands.

It's just reverse engineering, you see

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Time-Traveller View Post
    anything that can be encrypted can be decrypted, anything that can be hidden can be revealed if the programmer is knowledgeable, determined enough and has plenty time on their hands.
    No one has enough time on their hands.
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-12-2009 at 02:24 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenya View Post
    anything that can be encrypted can be decrypted, anything that can be hidden can be revealed if the programmer is knowledgeable, determined enough and has plenty time on their hands.
    Ever heard of distributed / cloud computing ?

It probably wouldn't take as long as you think

4. BitTorrent   -   #14

Yeah, I have. Google does it. Lots of cheap equipment, en masse. Still, though... although it certainly is a possibility... let's be practical, no one is going to do it just to get at your truecrypt file full of music and games.

R*AA and M*AA are like lions. They attack the weakest antelope, not the one that costs the most to kill.
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-12-2009 at 04:08 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15

Yeah, I have. Google does it. Lots of cheap equipment, en masse. Still, though... although it certainly is a possibility... let's be practical, no one is going to do it just to get at your truecrypt file full of music and games.

R*AA and M*AA are like lions. They attack the weakest antelope, not the one that costs the most to kill.
    Your absolutely right the RIAA etc isn't going to go to this kind of effort to take out sharers like ourselves, the point I was making was that anything that can be coded can be decoded if it really had to be done.

I like the lions & antelope's analogy btw
    Last edited by Time-Traveller; 01-12-2009 at 04:32 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    I like the lions & antelope's analogy btw
    I heard the anti-piracy organizations *cough* I mean the lions eat the entire antelope - bone and all!

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Regarding some of your comments that mention not worrying about if because it's a credible tracker with admin who know what they are doing, or that the tracker encrypts their traffic...

Wouldn't one of the watchdog orgs simply be able to find out your IP by sharing a torrent that you are leeching/seeding from/to, then they could simply check the list of IP's of connected peers in their BT client?

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    The simple fact is that there is no real way to hide your identity from someone determined to find it. The way that the bit torrent protocol works means that you need to lets other swarm members know your IP address. If you use a seedbox, there will be records connected with that seedbox (via to/from).

Servers all log data throughput, so if you make 15 hops to a server, each hop will log the packet transfer.

Of course, whether we use a sledge hammer to crack a nut in the case of filesharing is the real answer. George Bush could go to war with Sweden over filesharing, but would he?

The simple fact is that the industry will always opt for the cheapest option with the greatest reward. As someone said, it is like the lion chasing down the slowest antelope.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    The Art of Taming Wild Horses.

also look in the forums of some private trackers for guides on anonymizing and hiding your IP etc. then click on the users profile, the last time i checked most were banned, but the guide remains there.
    Last edited by Alien5; 01-13-2009 at 05:39 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Still, though... although it certainly is a possibility... let's be practical, no one is going to do it just to get at your truecrypt file full of music and games.
    I feel like an idiot for even asking this, but you've made a habit of downloading and sharing music, games, etc exclusively to/from your truecrypt file? Not really sure why, but doing that never occurred to me (like I said, I now feel like an idiot). Would you care to embellish a bit on any peculiarities of such a configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by Alien5 View Post
    also look in the forums of some private trackers for guides on anonymizing and hiding your IP etc. then click on the users profile, the last time i checked most were banned, but the guide remains there.
    Any change you could spill the beans on which private tracker forum I should search for the guide you mentioned on ~ or can you send me a link (or the text) to the guide you are talking about?

Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast