Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giganews a bit Wobbly,Upgrading?

Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    I still think it's NOT Giganews, I've download 5TB since my last post and not a single problem, besides slowing down and I just re-booted my router and max speed again, and no problems, and that's from alot of groups downloading.
    No, it's Giganews, verified with several other folks on different boards, and it is Newsgroup specific.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    I still think it's NOT Giganews, I've download 5TB since my last post and not a single problem, besides slowing down and I just re-booted my router and max speed again, and no problems, and that's from alot of groups downloading.
    No, it's Giganews, verified with several other folks on different boards, and it is Newsgroup specific.

yep
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Sit down while you read this:

"Thank you for your patience while we looked into this for you. This issue should now be resolved.

Thanks again and please let us know if you have any further problems.

--
    James
    Giganews Support"

Yep. Things do seem to be running better today, no gaps on either 'new' stuff or the usual backlog of nzb's I have a machine grinding away on.

Will of course keep a close eye on things; the bandwidth I have (fairly low but okay) means that it's bad when that machine grinds away all night long getting 'message not found'.

But it does make me, like some others here, think about saving the $15/month and going with Astraweb, for one. I'll continue to think about it.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Well Giganews should up their retention rate soon, and prices "should" drop some, not much but some, from the info I'm reading.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    on their website it say their rentention is going to be under 240days until they upgrade their hardware again

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    But, if you read, they have an unxplained growth in their servide and said "they will be upgrading VERY soon".

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    But, if you read, they have an unxplained growth in their servide and said "they will be upgrading VERY soon".

yea i know i meant to say until they finish upgrading

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    BTW, while all this was going on (the skips and such) I took a hard look at actual retention, going back and seeing just exactly how much it actually is on at least one newsgroup, a.b.dvd9.

Just shy of 180 days. And it's not even close to the really heavy traffic ng's like a.b.dvd, a.b.dvdr, or even a.b.dvd.classic.movies.

As I now have at least one 'hard' datapoint, I'll keep an eye on it, see if the retention gets any better. Maybe I'll look back at something from one of the larger ng's, as I save all the d/l'ed nzb's I do (why? because... I'm a pack rat!).

9. Newsgroups   -   #19

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    I'm downloading things that are 213 days old

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast