Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giganews a bit Wobbly,Upgrading?

Don't know if anyone else noticed, but there was a couple of postings this weekend that, although they were 'verified' as complete by Newzbin (and I went to Binsearch to verify as well), that were missing tons of parts of Giganews.

I eventually kinda gave up, as usually I don't 'jump' on things right away, but these were high on my 'get ' list. I looked around to Astraweb and a couple of other servers, and the parts were all there (have very old block accounts still active, so can get headers easily enough).

This GN variable parts availability I've run into before, when I complained to GN, got the usual "we have no problems" response, although the missing bits were very rampant on their system. A few days layter, they would be 'filled in'.

I think I'm, along with lots of other GN users, looking VERY close at their operation, paying top dollar for sometimes variable service, and I think it's because of the way they upgrade their storage systems.

Oh well, it's just a time waster, to find out in the morning that the d/l you had running all night spent most of the time accomplishing... nothing.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Mutantx's Avatar Dominator BT Rep: +1
    Hmm. Thats a bummer.. Had a difficult decision to make earlier this month on whether to go with Giganews or another newsgroup, glad I strayed away from them.

-Mutantx

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutantx View Post
    Hmm. Thats a bummer.. Had a difficult decision to make earlier this month on whether to go with Giganews or another newsgroup, glad I strayed away from them.
    Thing of it is, it's been a very long time since I used, for instance, AstraWeb, enough to not know that they don't occasionally do the same thing today. I made the plunge for Giganews about 3+ years ago when I simply got tired of chasing after fills.

99% of the time, it's great, if a bit steep coin wise. But like I said, every once in a while... Unfortunately, the 'try it' periods (free or nearly free) on others isn't enough to really know (over time) that it's any better. Maybe I'll simply have to, if I've really got a burr in my saddle, is to watch them REAL close the next time I see even a small blip with Giganews.

Well, it's been going on for a couple of days now, think I'll send a note to GN, but I know beforehand what the response will be...
    Last edited by Beck38; 01-12-2009 at 01:24 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    I've yet to have any problems with incompletes unless the poster fucked it up or something. I download 350+GB each month but maybe I download the "right" stuff

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Volume is over 5 TB per day, this weekend first time ever.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Giganews has been perfectly fine for me, except when I download old crap and Newsbin decides to not grab a part or fail it and make me search for another posting with that part...I haven't had any trouble, I think it's the posters not Giganews.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Don't know if anyone else noticed, but there was a couple of postings this weekend that, although they were 'verified' as complete by Newzbin (and I went to Binsearch to verify as well), that were missing tons of parts of Giganews.

I eventually kinda gave up, as usually I don't 'jump' on things right away, but these were high on my 'get ' list. I looked around to Astraweb and a couple of other servers, and the parts were all there (have very old block accounts still active, so can get headers easily enough).

This GN variable parts availability I've run into before, when I complained to GN, got the usual "we have no problems" response, although the missing bits were very rampant on their system. A few days layter, they would be 'filled in'.

I think I'm, along with lots of other GN users, looking VERY close at their operation, paying top dollar for sometimes variable service, and I think it's because of the way they upgrade their storage systems.

Oh well, it's just a time waster, to find out in the morning that the d/l you had running all night spent most of the time accomplishing... nothing.
    i agree. most definitely something wrong with giganews. inconsistent since newyears. not too happy. moving to astraweb soon. will keep giganews as fill server. all will be well. happy newyear.
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    I think you guys are just getting bad posts, I've downloaded over 5GB today alone and all have been fine.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    I think you guys are just getting bad posts, I've downloaded over 5GB today alone and all have been fine.
    Uh... nope. Maybe it's the particular newsgroups you're in.

Thought it was doing better today, then massive 'skips'. The ng's are a.b.dvd.classic.movies, a.b.dvd9, and a couple of others. I just got some stuff off a.b.dvd.criterion, and it went just fine.

So it appears to be ng specific. BTW, I did get the usual 'we have nothing wrong, no other users are complaining' return on my email. Typical. But then again, I think folks simply jump ship ('churn') on their account, and as they appear not to be doing any proactive maintenance on their systems (from what it appears), then who knows.

BTW, since I use News Rover and it has built in Giganews database searching, this afternoon one a d/l I was trying to start up, brought up the parts and tried d/l'ing some of it.

No Go. The server is reporting it has all the parts, but when you try to d/l them, 'message not found'. So the database is reporting it has the part, then reports it missing.

That's.... really not good!

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    I still think it's NOT Giganews, I've download 5TB since my last post and not a single problem, besides slowing down and I just re-booted my router and max speed again, and no problems, and that's from alot of groups downloading.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast