Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: waffles ?

mamacita's Avatar Tarding is bad!! BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    And like Traveler said, it comes down to personal taste, so how is he ever supposed to "back up his proof"?

Hell, people think mint chocolate chip ice cream is the bomb, but I hate the guts out of it. But how can i ever prove to someone that chocolate chop cookie dough ice cream is so much better? Its all subjective.

So don't claim that Time T can't hear the difference. Perhaps he can. Perhaps his ear is more attuned to it than yours?

I know I can tell a difference between a high quality mp3 and a flac, but I also use some expense in ear phones.

P.S. - Check out the site Time T mentioned. Head-fi.org is an awesome site if you need help with audio equipment. Just be sure and hide your wallet somewhere, lest you put a huge hole in it
    Kindness goes a long way!

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    double blind tests eliminate placebo.
    Last edited by piratebot; 01-14-2009 at 07:38 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    p0ster
    A while ago, some guy at the what.cd forums got the same audio file, encoded in a ton of different bitrates, and got people to listen to them.
    The lower bitrates were easier distinguished (sub 128, which would be "normal TV" by your analogy), but VERY few got the higher ones, and those were probably fluked

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Lovestoned's Avatar #Indie BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by tX View Post
    A while ago, some guy at the what.cd forums got the same audio file, encoded in a ton of different bitrates, and got people to listen to them.
    The lower bitrates were easier distinguished (sub 128, which would be "normal TV" by your analogy), but VERY few got the higher ones, and those were probably fluked
    It still depends on what you're using to produce the sound.

I heard that you can hear a big difference between a V0 and a FLAC if you've got a Audiophile grade Hi-Fi system.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    p0ster
    Quote Originally Posted by AniStoned View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tX View Post
    It still depends on what you're using to produce the sound.

I heard that you can hear a big difference between a V0 and a FLAC if you've got a Audiophile grade Hi-Fi system.
    You HEARD
    And anyway, the best I've ever heard is a slight difference. Your friend is probably posing as a miracle ear
    ITT: placebo effect

If you THINK something will sound better, it'll feel like it does
    Last edited by tX; 01-15-2009 at 03:06 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    If you really want to know where some people are coming from when they state they can tell the difference, get a headphone amp, and then get some high quality in-ear headphones and you'll see what they're talking about.

Get some phones with really good isolation. The sound quality is unbelievable.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Lovestoned's Avatar #Indie BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    You mean the Placebo effect, don't you?

So do you think it's a big jump from V2 - V0?

I'm more of a V0 person.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    I do actually. I've been listening to V0's on my ipod at work for a long time now. I've got a couple V2s on there, and every time they pop up I can tell a difference. In fact, a lot of the times I find myself turning the volume up a notch with the V2s hit.

This is using an isolating canal phone.
    Last edited by mamacita; 01-15-2009 at 03:40 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    I would love to see some of you perform a proper ABX test with V2 and V0.

Just because you have high end equipment, doesn't mean you are automatically able to distinguish such differences. placebo

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    You really are an unbeliever aren't you.

Anyways I used to be just as cynical and pessimistic about the topic. And of course equipment alone doesn't make you an expert.

Who knows, maybe I just have some crappy v2 rips *shrugs*

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast