Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: How would "You" get good members

Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Of course the obvious answer is going to be your friends. While, it be in real life and the internets. Of course after you've been around for awhile you're friends won't need anymore invites for you to share. So what's a person who wants to share invites to do? Some may do a giveaway so that they can attract a gaggle of potential invitees, some may just lurk around in people request threads and invite them in private. I personally like doing giveaways because I'm eager to see who I know, like, and trust that I can help out. Giveaways enable shy people, or people who don't want to look completly needy the ability to express their interest without really having to put themselves out there. The biggest criticisms of giveaways is that there are alot of "free sample" giveaways where it seems the person doing the giveaways is giving them away to anyone. The carefully done giveaways are done in such a fashion where the results aren't going to manifest themselves publically, thus the public won't know of what good has been done. All in all it just depends of the inviter and how much they care about their trackers.
    See ya in another life, brother.

2. BitTorrent   -   #102
    mamacita's Avatar Tarding is bad!! BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    well these are my thought i just saw and wrote if this will help someone i am so glad...
    and i want to say what the f*ck going on ?
    this topic posted yesterday and got 99 replied and some of post really bull $hit
    yeah someone really love the spam ppl arguing...
    FST staff really must do something i realy dont belive someone will read 99 post yeah maybe stoi will do cuz he want to know members thought about his topic but how come i will read 99 post ...
    stop the spam!
    Actually your post is one of the few spam posts in this thread

Most of us are having a decent conversation about a hot subject. So keep it on topic please
    Last edited by mamacita; 01-15-2009 at 02:15 PM.
    Kindness goes a long way!

3. BitTorrent   -   #103
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Well I'm not going to read through all this, but I have thought about this.. also before this topic even being posted.

What I would do if wanting as many good members as possible. First of all I would not hold members accountable for who they invite.

I would give every member in good standing a referral code every month (a maximum of 2 if not used). This referral code would not guarantee the one using it entry, but rather give him/her the chance to fill out an application.

The Application would include links to a few pages of stuff that the proposed member should read before becoming a member. After filling out the application and checking a box saying he/she had read the proposed material, a redirect would happen, pointing to a small questionnaire, which had 3 random questions (from a large pool of questions) best answered if actually having read the material.

If someone fails, the referral is gone i.e. no retries and said potential member would have to wait a month or get a referral elsewhere.

If passed the application would be entered into a queue. I would then have volunteers check every application. Volunteering to do this would give brownie points in some way. E.g. people who for some reason ended up with less than perfect ratio could redeem themselves by finding 20 good applicants (let's say at last 15 out of 20 in good standing after 3 weeks). Another could be look through 200 applications and be immune to deletion from inactivity or bad ratio. or 100 other possible scenarios.

People who did not do their homework and allowed above a certain % of bad members to join would be deemed useless and not only be disallowed from reviewing apps, but also would never be able to invite anyone ever again.

And last but not least. Have quite a few reviewers. At least 2 or 3 would have to approve. If one disapproved of an applicant, he/she would have to provide a valid reason (something which would have to be done by cooperation between staff on several sites), and this applicant would never be able to apply again.

If the member was not rejected but only didn't get enough yes votes after a certain period, lets say 2 days, he would be free to apply again at a later date.

Of course trusted members and staff would be able to invite regardless. When saying trusted members, I mean hand picked.
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 01-15-2009 at 03:19 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #104
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I haven't bothered to read through all 11 pages, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, it probably has though.

But if I were tracker staff, I would do what some of the trackers do and do applications. Sure, it may be more work than just simply handing out invites for people to use. But at least this way you'd be able to review each newcoming member to see if they're "good" or "bad". I think this is the best way to go about it.

5. BitTorrent   -   #105
    Good ideas Blue_Skies (Heya btw, haven't talked with you in a looong time).

Your ideas kind of tie into the general idea of having some sort of group of recruiters or "reviewers" in your scheme of things.

I think this idea would work great, especially if they discussed potential members or had to vote, etc, like you mention.

6. BitTorrent   -   #106
    Quote Originally Posted by mamacita View Post
    Good ideas Blue_Skies (Heya btw, haven't talked with you in a looong time).

Your ideas kind of tie into the general idea of having some sort of group of recruiters or "reviewers" in your scheme of things.

I think this idea would work great, especially if they discussed potential members or had to vote, etc, like you mention.
    Hi yeah I haven't around too much. Busy busy busy.

Yes, a section would of course have to be set up only for reviewers, where is someone had relevant info on someone, they could post it. Maybe like a forum with threads, but only:

Desired username - date and time of application - no. of replies - no. of yes/no votes
    Desired username - date and time of application - no. of replies - no. of yes/no votes

7. BitTorrent   -   #107
    What I would love to see in conjunction with that is a follow up by recruiters analyzing an applicant's activity at other torrent sites.

Not just checking their ratio and post count, but how much they upload and download (every site needs good leechers), what quality their posts are, if any, etc.

About one of your other points...

Giving people incentives to review and recruit is great, but I'm not so sure it'll give the end result the site would be looking for (better new members). As soon as you put a reward on the end, people will stop caring how they go about achieving that reward.

Then again, you also mention a negative consequence for inviting bad users, and that could counterbalance this.

I'm just not so sure about letting the "troubled" users review in order to fix their woes. What kind of recruiter would a bad user really be?

8. BitTorrent   -   #108
    Like I said, the options on finding reviewers are endless. Another option could be just allowing especially good users review.. but still that poses the question of what kind of brownie points they would benefit from.

Part of what I wrote there also goes against everything I believe about deleting for inactivity. I don't think any account in good standing should ever be deleted. Put it in inactive mode maybe, but not delete.
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 01-15-2009 at 04:04 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #109
    Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    A very excellent thread.. We need more quality threads like this in FST. Now my 2 cents

I personally don't like the invite system at all. The invite system was started to reward good members of the tracker and by giving them invites so that they can give it to their friends etc. But now the whole concept of invites has changed. Most members already have invited their friends and all that extra invites which they have end up in giveaway threads and trade threads. IMHO people with invites give them away to increase the size of their e penis. I am not saying all but most of them .

I agree with cabalo and others.. All trackers' doors should be closed. When they decide to invite people they should start some giveaway themselves or with the help of recruiters and invite as many people as they like. Abolish the invite system. Give good members upload gigs instead. As I said when u start giving people invites the whole trading scamming thing starts. The staff can follow whatever procedure they like to give someone a invite. But in this case too (as many already stated) one can never stop the influx of cheaters etc but this is a more efficient way IMO.

Also I feel when the staff decides to recruit people the process should be very fair to all sections of members. I see many at times that ppl who have seedboxes have an edge over others even though that particular trakcer doesn't need ownership of a sb.. (a different story altogether )

Anywaz no offense to all the good members of fst who giveaway invites because they actually care about new members.. Rock on guyz

10. BitTorrent   -   #110
    A secure private tracker is always a good thing.
    Last edited by SoulEdge01; 01-20-2009 at 04:22 AM.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast