Thread: random headers

Ok I rarely take a look at headers, but have been exploring a bit more lately.

I see a bunch of headers in my favorite groups, dvd/dvd9 that are completely random letter/number combos. I know that sometimes I've seen these posts spotted with a password for the rar and a description of the header, but I don't know where to find anything just by the header.

Is there any way, without downloading 7GB dvd9 files and not being able to unrar them without the password anyway, to learn what's inside? Any known source of posters or forums where this info is located? I generally get the info on these Trapdoor releases from BinaryInvasion, but what about before it's spotted?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    xuxoxux's Avatar Reader BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by nzbean View Post
    Ok I rarely take a look at headers, but have been exploring a bit more lately.

I see a bunch of headers in my favorite groups, dvd/dvd9 that are completely random letter/number combos. I know that sometimes I've seen these posts spotted with a password for the rar and a description of the header, but I don't know where to find anything just by the header.

Is there any way, without downloading 7GB dvd9 files and not being able to unrar them without the password anyway, to learn what's inside? Any known source of posters or forums where this info is located? I generally get the info on these Trapdoor releases from BinaryInvasion, but what about before it's spotted?
    Well, unless you know who posted it and know to what group he/she belongs, it is my understanding, you have to either DL it, or skip it....

You can see such things ( random letters and maybe password too ) at kleverig.nl or other sites when some users post something.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Is there any way, without downloading 7GB dvd9 files and not being able to unrar them without the password anyway, to learn what's inside?
    just download the first part rar, and extract it with "keep broken file" option.

well, in linux i did this
    Code:
    unrar x -kb hotstuff.rar

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    xuxoxux's Avatar Reader BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by cimithan View Post
    Is there any way, without downloading 7GB dvd9 files and not being able to unrar them without the password anyway, to learn what's inside?
    just download the first part rar, and extract it with "keep broken file" option.

well, in linux i did this
    Code:
    unrar x -kb hotstuff.rar
    Meh, I would never have thought of this, thanks mate for the info.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Possibly. But the files I actually want are generally password protected. Oh well I'll have to just wait for spotters.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    This sounds like 'Trapdoor' Releases. To get the password you need to wait for them to post the NZB file to the group, then using that you will get an NFO with the password including all the rar files.

Beck38 usually posts an overview of the releases from this group/person each month. In the relasese overview NFO they state they will post the Nzb with the keyfile usually 45 days after initial posting of the movie to usenet

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-new...tations-324136

So you could always just set a kill filter up in your reader for this group to just downlaod and or show .nzb files that way you do not need to grab headers from this large group all the time.
    Last edited by rippinitup4fun; 01-17-2009 at 04:53 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by rippinitup4fun View Post
    Beck38 usually posts an overview of the releases from this group/person each month. In the relasese overview NFO they state they will post the Nzb with the keyfile usually 45 days after initial posting of the movie to usenet
    A bit hazy explanation; but when the nfo/nzb is posted, the p/w file is there in the nzb waiting to be d/l'ed along with everything else. So if you're 'filtering' for nfo's or nzb's (my general 'mode' of operation), you'll find them and go from there.

I do 'lift' the filters every few days and look back at the 'raw' headers, and one sometimes find some interesting stuff. I've got my eye on some nfo's recently, in fact, in a.b.dvdr that look great (to me), but no files/file parts as of yet. So, it's kinda like an 'early warning' somethings coming.

Maybe...! You'd be surprised at how many things start posting, then halfway (or thereabouts) stops dead in it's tracks. Also, some of the text comments (particularly when that happens) are 'interesting/rude'. Back to usenet's roots.