Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why don't all trackers have open signup?

pharaoh's Avatar King of the Desert BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I think all trackers should have random open signups. This would help with many things not to mention the selling of invites. Simply because everyone would actually stand a chance to get in.
    Reasons I hear for why no open signup.

"security." we need to allow only trusted members in. so we let our members invite their trusted friends. Don't get me wrong there are people on the internet that exist who can be trusted. But they are far and few between. To wager your ftn or bitmetv account on trust that the person you invited won't screw you over, is like screwing a whore and hoping not to get an std.

"But then anyone could get in maybe even the riaa!!!" I like that one the most I think. I'd be more concerned of someone with a lightening speed internet connection with a seedbox that's actually working the forums than I would some random person trying to sign up on the site. So really even GIVING away invites in forums is a MAJOR security risk and even mentioning the sites name. (even like FT* or sc*)

Could it be that some sites don't want open signups because they like feeding a fire for the people addicted to getting the best. For some reason people are confused in a site being the best because it's hard to get into. Not comparing how easy it is to seed there or it's pre-times. Rarity seems to be the only thing that distinguishes one site from another. That is after it's established a name for it's self of course first.

What do you think?
    Last edited by pharaoh; 01-16-2009 at 01:50 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Cheaters
    Dupe leeching accounts

Just to name 2 reasons

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    i think that you should have made this post at stoi's thread about how to get good members. Lots of what you say is debatable, but there is where we are having this discussion.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    and if they open signup there still will be as the above say'd dupe accounts/trades/sellers

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    If I were a tracker owner, I would personally never have open signups right from the start. I would be too worried about the law types getting in(RIAA, MPAA, etc). I mean, these type of people are going to get in regardless if they want to. I'm sure every single tracker has at least one of these type of people as a member. But when a site barely passes out invites, or has an application process, it makes it very hard for them to get in. Well, at least a lot harder than it would be if there was open sign up. Doing this also limits the amount of these type of people that can get in.

Not only that, but it limits the other type of people that get in. The ones that Blue Skies mentioned.

Sure, making a tracker hard to get in really sucks for all the trophy holders that are dying to get in, but are going to do nothing but look at the site and brag to people on various forums that they're a member. But it really is the best thing for trackers in my opinion.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    pharaoh's Avatar King of the Desert BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    an application process that anyone can do would be perfect!!!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    mbewe's Avatar gunslinger BT Rep: +1
    hmm... becouse they`ll become public

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    KushBlow's Avatar Zen BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Because leechers, cheaters, and collectors would sign up?

Also to stay safe law-wise. That's my thought anyway.
    Last edited by KushBlow; 01-16-2009 at 03:20 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    BANNED BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    they will not get donat

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Albo Da Kid's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Open signups = mininova

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast