Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What is a good ratio to keep on a torrent

cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by themessiah View Post
    Just curious wasn't the reason Kushblow requested FTN (a thread that I cannot find, must've been deleted) was because he said he wanted a ratioless tracker because ratio keeping was hard for him or he couldn't afford a seedbox (I can't remember which one it was).
    And now look he has a seedbox
    Makes one wonder.
    not to mention that he finally got invited at FTN. So apparently, he waited to get in before buying a seebox... it doesn't make sense at all since FTN is no ratio. Curious attitude anyway...
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Time-Traveller's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    Just curious wasn't the reason Kushblow requested FTN (a thread that I cannot find, must've been deleted) was because he said he wanted a ratioless tracker because ratio keeping was hard for him or he couldn't afford a seedbox (I can't remember which one it was).
    Makes one wonder.
    not to mention that he finally got invited at FTN. So apparently, he waited to get in before buying a seebox... it doesn't make sense at all since FTN is no ratio. Curious attitude anyway...
    Everyone needs a hero
    Last edited by Time-Traveller; 01-16-2009 at 10:53 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    seed as long is possible

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    If tracker level really meant anything the higher ones wouldn't be filled with the exact same twits that are on the lower ones.
    I'm generalizing here so don't anyone get there panties in a bunch.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    Lovestoned's Avatar #Indie BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Around 1.7, overseeding isn't great when there are more than a few seedboxers on the torrent itself.

Gotta get my superb overseeded ratio to go down on Pedros' BTmusic soon, hehe.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    KushBlow's Avatar Zen BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    Makes one wonder.
    Got a really good deal and some extra money. You would think a good seedbox would costs 30+ EUR, which I couldn't afford. Next month I probably won't have one though. And why would I care about userclasses? I care about giving everyone efficient download speeds.

Anyway about the seedbox thing, it's the first time someone's offered me to DECREASE their download speed (you guys are basically asking me to). Why? I'll explain.

Usually I'm the 1 out of 2 seeders on torrents. If you tell me to cap my upload speed or seed it only to a 1:1 ratio, people will download it much slower. Just like ScT is famous for it's speed, that's because all the people use a box and don't cap their upload speed therefore amazing speeds.

And also that one-man-army theory you guys are implementing won't work. If I cap my upload speed or limit it in any way it won't affect anything, because 50 more people aren't limiting their upload speed. One man won't make a difference.
    Last edited by KushBlow; 01-17-2009 at 10:26 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    dragoi92's Avatar prince of darknes BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Just seed
    Only ,Dragoi92

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    If I don't need the ratio at the site, then I set my client to stop the file once it seeds back to 1:1. If I'm new to a site, then I try not to go over 1:5 or 2:1(at the most) on the torrents. This way I get the little buffer that I need to be comfortable since I'm new, and I'm also not highly overseeding which in turn robs others of their chance to get some upload on the torrent.

This would be a good practice to get yourself into. Try not be a ratio whore, seeding everything to 15:1 or 30:1. There is absolutely no reason to have that big of a buffer.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    lots of permutations.

I have torrents i am seeding for over 200 days, but then i only have a ratio of 3 on them, but i didnt get that in the 1st 3 days, its actually taken me the 200 days of slow, methodical seeding to get to that, and there are not that many seeders on them.

A seedbox could be the same as above, someone having a 400 ratio on a torrent, but they have seeded it for a year+, while everyone else just jumps off.

The ones that sort of get me are, as soon as the uploader uploads it, they jump on it, and seed the ass off it, to a 30+ ratio in 2 days.

and the other side of the coin.

those that just do the minimum required and leave the torrent, if everyone done that, the tracker would not have any torrents on after a month.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234