Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a good ratio to keep on a torrent

KushBlow's Avatar Zen BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KushBlow View Post
    Minimum is 1.0 but I recommend 3.0+ .
    why 3.0+ ? many users can't achieve a 3+ ratio... it would be more coherent to recommend them to seed as long as they can.
    ON TL and IPT it's pretty easy. That's how I was taught at least. Seed it to 1:1; then triple it.
    Last edited by KushBlow; 01-16-2009 at 08:24 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    i meant that 3 is just a number, you can't recommend a specific ratio regarding the disparities between members speeds...
    it's why we can only recommend torrenters to seed as long as they can (without capping their upload speed of course).
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Some sites have a 0.7 minimum per torrent, some just have a minimum time to seed regardless of ratio. Some sites are just freeleech, and have no requirements.

Obviously its best to try and seed to 1/1 regardless, but check your tracker FAQ and Rules for details and requirements.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    why 3.0+ ? many users can't achieve a 3+ ratio... it would be more coherent to recommend them to seed as long as they can.
    totally agree with this is ridicilous to think everyone can seed to 3, id just say seed as long as possible and try achieve something like 1.1.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    If everyone tried seeding to a 3 ratio, then there would be a bunch of peers with very bad ratio's as a result. Overseeding isn't a good thing most times, on most torrents. You end up screwing some one with a slower connection who's just trying to reach 1/1, but now can't because of overseeders.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    the times when you were a supercool user on a tracker with a ratio of 8.0 and a buffer of 1.5 tb are gone. most of the smaller communities tend to appreciate it more when you actually leech instead of overseed nowadays.

tracker racing buffer whores are newbish and out.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 01-16-2009 at 08:36 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    nsk's Avatar Sharer BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Time-Traveller View Post
    Personally I never stop seeding anything I download until it's time to clean out the hard drive (6 month-ish rotation) it averages out at about 3:1 for most of my sites with a few hundred GB or so buffer.
    Ditto.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Time-Traveller's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    the times when you were a supercool user on a tracker with a ratio of 8.0 and a buffer of 1.5 tb are gone. most of the smaller communities tend to appreciate it more when you actually leech instead of overseed nowadays.

tracker racing buffer whores are newbish and out.
    For sure plenty seedboxes is both a blessing and a curse on ratio free sites it's a blessing but on sites like bitmetv it can make your life difficult on a home connection, the solution I came up with to bitmetv was what I call "Race-Chunk-Seeding" on very popular torrents

**Edit**

tracker racing buffer whores - Hahahahah Awesome name lolz +1
    Last edited by Time-Traveller; 01-16-2009 at 08:57 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    KushBlow's Avatar Zen BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    If everyone tried seeding to a 3 ratio, then there would be a bunch of peers with very bad ratio's as a result. Overseeding isn't a good thing most times, on most torrents. You end up screwing some one with a slower connection who's just trying to reach 1/1, but now can't because of overseeders.
    Well it's not my fault I just add a torrent to my Kimsufi box and I get a crazy ratio next morning lol.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Time-Traveller's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    Well it's not my fault I just add a torrent to my Kimsufi box and I get a crazy ratio next morning lol.
    Limit your upload speed and give us mortals a chance then the Tardas has only got 16/1.5 mb adsl, or set it to stop seeding at ratio 1,2,3 or whatever your happy with
    Last edited by Time-Traveller; 01-16-2009 at 09:14 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast