Thread: Guy Ritchie Marathon

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Just finished watching Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch and RocknRolla, one after the other.

Although I enjoyed the experience, I can't help but think that he is developing a career based on remaking the same movie over and over again.

Refinements in editing and obviously larger budgets changed the look as the series progressed but essentially, each movie is exactly the same.

He certainly seems to be having fun though, and I could see not minding the similarities if I'd watched them a few years apart.

Like the Coen brothers, Ritchie has a fondness for certain actors who serially appear (Jason Statham, for instance) and this reinforces the impression that we're seeing the same film, slightly modified, again and again.

Of the three, I guess Snatch is my favorite.
    Brad Pitt nails his performance and Dennis Farina is a welcome addition, if only because I could understand everything he said (Pitt must have had a ball garbling his lines).

Along with The Bank Job, it would seem that the Brits have adopted the "crime noir" genre as their own and are doing a very nice job with it, IMO.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Clocker , have you watched Johhny Was or Clubbed ? Two more to add to the great Brit crime movies . Vinnie Jones is one of my fav actors by the way .

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    No, I haven't but I'll add them to my DL list.
    Thanks.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Dolphin's Avatar Poster
    I must admit that these 3 films are very alike, Snatch, Two Smooking Barrels and RocknRolla, i knew that Guy Ritchie had done Snatch & Two Smooking Barrels befor i started watching RocknRolla but after a while seeing it i could not bare it anymore not knowing who the director was becouse the movie were so much like the other two so i stopped it and checked at imdb and were not surprised at all