Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cpu Overheating

TClite's Avatar Poster
    Im running an xp2000+, with a medium range copper heatsink (all copper) and a powerful tt fan, my psu is rated at 300w, my cpu idle is 58degrees at best, going up to 65 when gaming, and 60 under lots of strain when desktop power using, its quite a frustrating issue, and there is no reason for it, i also have arctic silver on the die, its simply beyond me, the set up is to have heat running up the case (physics of heat prefer that) and theres no clutter at all restricting airflow....im starting to think i bought a faulty cpu, are there any suggestions, not software coolers...real help
    edit: just noticed i made a typo on the post info reasin, what a complete fuckwit lol
    edit2:also just noticed there that i put too instead of to, i feel like a freckin moron now lol almost american (lol, sorry bad taste)

my excuse is that im far too tired

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    What's the case temp? And can you tell us what model cooler you have?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    TClite's Avatar Poster
    approximately 30 degrees, I have a thermaltake volcano 9+ fan, and a standard copper heatsink...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    I don't think there is anything wrong with your CPU. Your CPU is not running very much over normal. In my experience I have not had good results from the Volcanos. I get better cooling even from the stock AMD coolers.

Try looking for a cooler with 'Microfin' technology like the one on the right here:

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    TClite's Avatar Poster
    sorry should have mentioned, my current has microfin, is 65 normal running temp when gaming?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    I've been trying to pinpoint exactly which cooler you have. You say it's a thermaltake volcano 9+ and I only find volcano 9 not + and it's not microfin nor fully copper:

I then looked further and I find a full copper microfin volcano 7+. Could that be the one you have?

Edit: 65C. when gaming is a bit high but not extreme. I would try to reduce it if I were you. What speed does the fan run at?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    all this computer stuff is making my headspin im going to sleep

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    TClite's Avatar Poster
    i have the fan in that pic, the heatsink is seperate...I bought it individually

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    The Boxed volcano + heatsink combo works fine. I have a 2000 that idles between 25 and 35 degrees depending on ambient air temp. No more than 50c when it's loaded hard. I do have a few small case fans though. One trick I picked up is cleaning the heatsink in an alcohol bath to remove airborn grime and grease. The first time I tried it, a dusting alone dropped a CPU from 65 to 55. The alcohol brought it down to 40c ! This with a new coating of generic thermal compound, no fancy stuff.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    TClite's Avatar Poster
    sounds too good to be true, ill bathe my heatsink in vodka then, and while im at it do some dusting around, nice one

does it have to be pure alcohol, also, would paint thinner do anything good? lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast