Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 Year Old Sued - Into Making Money

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=238
    What started off as every P2P users nightmare has turned into a profitable enterprise for 12 year old Brianna LaHara. Like 60 million other American citizens, Brianna’s downloading day started off like many others; launch your Kazaa client and trade away.

Unfortunately for Brianna, she had approximately 1,000 copyrighted songs in her shared directory. Compounding her situation was the type of shared music; mostly top 40, such as Christina Aguilera. This unfortunate combination is exactly what the RIAA automatons are looking for.

Like many other victims of the RIAA's persecution of the American people, Brianna had no idea that she was targeted until reporters started contacting the household. The RIAA quickly brushed off the issue, accepting a minimal payment of $2,000.

While the marginal penalty may seem like a fortune to this low-income New York family, the immediate sympathy and outpouring was undeniable. Almost immediately, P2P United, a trade organization that promote the file-sharing world, sent the family $2,000 to cover the costs.

However, the support didn't stop there.

In addition to the 2 grand from P2P United, Brianna has literally been flooded with donations. The donations range anywhere from $3 dollars to nearly $1,000. Not only has Brianna been able to pay her fine; she's making a profit from her ordeal with the RIAA.

In addition, "Rochester, New York radio disc jockey Brother Wease also offered to pay Torres’ legal bill, and online music retailer MusicRebellion.com said it would allow Torres’ daughter, Brianna Lahara, to download $2,000 worth of free music from its industry-sanctioned site."

What started off as a financial nightmare for the LaHara family has turned into a dream come true. With the $2,000 dollar offer from Music Rebellion, and “floods” of donations where some have totaled near $1,000, we can only speculate that Brianna has managed to make over $4,000 for the LaHara household - and that's a very conservative estimate. Not bad for being sued for copyright infringement.
    ****************************** CLASSIC ******************************

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    I guess crime does pay

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi@13 September 2003 - 07:45
    I guess crime does pay
    Can someone loan me a couple thousand mp3's...
    I'm planning to get rich...

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Damn, someone sue me quick!

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    BANNED
    i will sue every body here( if you agree to split it with me )

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Read this story on www.Slyck.com.

What started off as every P2P users nightmare has turned into a profitable enterprise for 12 year old Brianna LaHara. Like 60 million other American citizens, Brianna’s downloading day started off like many others; launch your Kazaa client and trade away.

Unfortunately for Brianna, she had approximately 1,000 copyrighted songs in her shared directory. Compounding her situation was the type of shared music; mostly top 40, such as Christina Aguilera. This unfortunate combination is exactly what the RIAA automatons are looking for.

Like many other victims of the RIAA's persecution of the American people, Brianna had no idea that she was targeted until reporters started contacting the household. The RIAA quickly brushed off the issue, accepting a minimal payment of $2,000.

While the marginal penalty may seem like a fortune to this low-income New York family, the immediate sympathy and outpouring was undeniable. Almost immediately, P2P United, a trade organization that promote the file-sharing world, sent the family $2,000 to cover the costs.

However, the support didn't stop there.

In addition to the 2 grand from P2P United, Brianna has literally been flooded with donations. The donations range anywhere from $3 dollars to nearly $1,000. Not only has Brianna been able to pay her fine; she's making a profit from her ordeal with the RIAA.

In addition, "Rochester, New York radio disc jockey Brother Wease also offered to pay Torres’ legal bill, and online music retailer MusicRebellion.com said it would allow Torres’ daughter, Brianna Lahara, to download $2,000 worth of free music from its industry-sanctioned site."

What started off as a financial nightmare for the LaHara family has turned into a dream come true. With the $2,000 dollar offer from Music Rebellion, and “floods” of donations where some have totaled near $1,000, we can only speculate that Brianna has managed to make over $4,000 for the LaHara household - and that's a very conservative estimate. Not bad for being sued for copyright infringement.

By Thomas Mennecke.

Bet the RIAA are loving all this....

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Reality 07:40
    http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=66512

NEMO 12:05

Winner REALITY...
    Although Improperly Posted In The WRONG Section...
    Thus The JUDGES must be called out.

Originally posted by REALITY Pleading His Defense
    "I actually considered double posting when I relized it judge, though I did not want to spam the site and figured one of our precious mods would move it anyhow"

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    BANNED
    It may be profitable for her because everyone was mad because she is 12 and being sued also she was probibly from a low income house. If i got sued right now im 16 and if i got sued i don't think people would be half as friendly to me as her.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    old school
    Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@13 September 2003 - 09:24
    i will sue every body here( if you agree to split it with me )
    if we can all make $4,000 off of it I'm with ya MUSLEMAN!!

Hopefully this should show the RIAA that people are heavily against them.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Good for her I say!!!

This should really annoy RIAA !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast